How to keep a QT clean and manage nitrogen cycle with less work

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently had to start a QT for my fish that were exposed to brook. I was not ready for this so I have been battling ammonia for a couple of weeks. Basically doing 75% water changes every day or two. This is a 20g long tank with a pair of anthias, a juvenile convict tang and a small diamond back goby. Fish seem to be doing ok and are eating but I am trying to make this easier on myself. So, I am looking for suggestions on keeping the tank clean to avoid some of the nitrogen cycle. My hand on back filter is not doing a very good job of removing fish waste and uneaten food. I did add a couple of pieces of live rock to the qt to get some beneficial bacteria going and I also added Dr Tims. However I still don't have ammonia under control with the nitrogen cycle. Only these water changes. So any suggestions will be appreciated as I have to leave the fish in this QT for 6-8 weeks while my display sits fallow.

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to start a QT for my fish that were exposed to brook. I was not ready for this so I have been battling ammonia for a couple of weeks. Basically doing 75% water changes every day or two. This is a 20g long tank with a pair of anthias, a juvenile convict tang and a small diamond back goby. Fish seem to be doing ok and are eating but I am trying to make this easier on myself. So, I am looking for suggestions on keeping the tank clean to avoid some of the nitrogen cycle. My hand on back filter is not doing a very good job of removing fish waste and uneaten food. I did add a couple of pieces of live rock to the qt to get some beneficial bacteria going and I also added Dr Tims. However I still don't have ammonia under control with the nitrogen cycle. Only these water changes. So any suggestions will be appreciated as I have to leave the fish in this QT for 6-8 weeks while my display sits fallow.

Thanks!
Dr Tim’s can be slow to start. BioSpira or Fritz Turbo Start begin working immediately. You should not be having ammonia issues at this point. Is the QT overstocked maybe?

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dr Tim’s can be slow to start. BioSpira or Fritz Turbo Start begin working immediately. You should not be having ammonia issues at this point. Is the QT overstocked maybe?

I have had only a juvenile convict tang in the tank for the past week so I don’t think it was overstocked. I just ordered the Fritz so hopefully that will help. Thanks

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had only a juvenile convict tang in the tank for the past week so I don’t think it was overstocked. I just ordered the Fritz so hopefully that will help. Thanks
Sorry you didn't get any more replies. looks like qt period is up, how are your fishies? Did you ever find an easier way to manage ammonia?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back