How to keep snails from going outside the tank?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I've just started my first saltwater tank and have many questions. Hahaha. I'm going to add an egg crate lid to my 20 gallon tank and was wondering if that will be enough to keep snails inside? There will still be open spots for the HOB filters.

Do the snails usually tend to go outside the tank?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snails wont leave the tank, unless there is something that is driving them out. The exception is nerite snails - those little buggers want to leave and take a migration across the room whenever possible. Egg crate might work, but avoid nerites and you should be ok :D

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snails are so persistent at escaping, Usually its near impossible to stop them from leaving without a tight fitting lid, because if their is a way out, they will find it and you will find it on the floor the next day. I've made it one of my chores to check and make sure their are no escapees every day, unless they are constantly leaving, it shouldn't be a problem, always check your parameters.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My astrea snail likes to coast on the waters edge but does not escape. I dont think you will have issues with it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back