How to know if shells are truly empty

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just added a lot of snails and some hermits to my tank to help with leftover food I have a trigger and a snowflake eel so of course a lot will become snacks I want to clean out the empties regularly but how do I tell if they are truly empty or not just hiding deep in the shell

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just added a lot of snails and some hermits to my tank to help with leftover food I have a trigger and a snowflake eel so of course a lot will become snacks I want to clean out the empties regularly but how do I tell if they are truly empty or not just hiding deep in the shell
I usually pull a bunch of em to the front of the tank.
Ones that don't move for a week I inspect and toss if I don't see anything

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep or you can just remember where they are and check back later to see if they moved. I would personally leave the shells in as it is the best way to minimize hermit crab aggression, especially cerith shells as that seems to be their preference. I wouldn't assume that the fish with eat them. That really depends on how long you've had them and how well they are fed and individual preference.

OP
OP
Samanthabea

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trigger won't leave them alone especially the larger ones and I feed him well honestly at first he even refused half shell clam squid krill everything and just kept after the nassarius, florida cerith and nerite snails but leaves the hermits and sometimes the dwarf cerith alone that's why I know empties will be around I'll leave the bigger shells for the hermits though if they have passed on but none of them will like dwarf shells

tc3driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock, if the answer, You'll know!

To expand on @Suohhen's response... who has the brains for memory... line em' up at the front of your tank take a picture with your cell phone and check it the next day... take a picture again... and check the next day... those that haven't moved are dead or empty...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back