How to protect a clam from nipping fish

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_4008-jpg.478242

Previously I had a maxima clam tip over while on vacation and landed foot side next to a bubble coral which stung it to death. My fish learned that clams tasted good and ate some of it before I got home. Only after that did my fish begin to nip at my other clam which was alive and well. It closed up everyday to avoid being nipped, but that prevented it from getting light.

So--- I made this nylon box out of a clear Tupperware bowl. I cut the bottom out, sewed nylon net over the top with nylon string, and added 4 clear acrylic turning rods from a venetian blind to anchor it down. It has worked great over the past 7 months. It has reduced flow (making clam a lottle more happy) and stopped the attacks. The clam has opened now completely everyday.

I think it has grown larger since the box was added also.

IMG_4008.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of fish were nipping on it.

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hippo tang, the melanarus wrasse, the cori wrasse, the coral beauty, the flame angel, the yellow tang. I think thats it. None had any interest before the 1st clam died.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can put the blame on the angels for most part.
Angels are know to be caution in a reef tank as with clams they will nip on the mantel.
Once they done first blood there's no way back anymore.
Keep a eye out and if you want to save your clam maybe selling it off or putting it in a frag tank for a while that the angels will forget about it but I have my doubts.:(

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the prettiest clam I've ever seen. I want blue maxima clam too but I want one as blue as yours and I don't think I've ever seen one like that, is it a blue maxima?

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can put the blame on the angels for most part.
Angels are know to be caution in a reef tank as with clams they will nip on the mantel.
Once they done first blood there's no way back anymore.
Keep a eye out and if you want to save your clam maybe selling it off or putting it in a frag tank for a while that the angels will forget about it but I have my doubts.:(
Thanks. Actually all the research online I conducted agreed with your assumption about the dwarfs, however in my specific case the Hippo tang and wrasse intensly bit the clam about 20 times a day where the dwarfs lightly nipped 2 or 3 times. I know this from watching camera footage. I dont have a reason to move it or sell it. Its thriving after the cage construct. It has grown in the past 7 months and colored up more.

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the prettiest clam I've ever seen. I want blue maxima clam too but I want one as blue as yours and I don't think I've ever seen one like that, is it a blue maxima?
Thank you. Yes blue, no photo correction.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Actually all the research online I conducted agreed with your assumption about the dwarfs, however in my specific case the Hippo tang and wrasse intensly bit the clam about 20 times a day where the dwarfs lightly nipped 2 or 3 times. I know this from watching camera footage. I dont have a reason to move it or sell it. Its thriving after the cage construct. It has grown in the past 7 months and colored up more.

As long the cage works for you then you're good.
Maybe @4FordFamily can tell you a bit more about the hippo nipping your clam.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea. Few months ago I bought a clam, he (or she) was beautiful blue. Opened up, was a joy. Looked great for a week. Then I went out of town for 2 days (fiance fed fish), came home only to find wide open clam shell everything gone. Idk if fish or crabs got to it. Was so upset. But I like this idea will have to do this or some things very similar for next one.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tangs can develop a taste for clams, but more often than not they do not. Once they develop it, either the clams or the tang must go, unfortunately.

Dwarf angels are far more likely to nip at clam mantles than are tangs.

However, in this case since they took advantage of a dead clam, they associate them with feeding. You've essentially inadvertently trained your fish to eat them. This will be impossible to undo I am afraid. The cage idea is interesting, perhaps I'm wrong and eventually they'll ignore it and you can remove it from the cage but I have my doubts :/

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go check on Liveaquaria at divers den.
Good luck

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great replies everyone. None of this is surprising to me after I looked into it months ago. I am familiar with the stories of dwarfs & tangs and clams. The cage idea was my decision after I refused to get rid of either the clam or the 4 fish in my tank. I chose a unique response instead, and so far it is successful. Its not pretty, but works. I may try to test the waters in a year by removing the cage to see if they forget, if they remember, Im ok with keeping the cage in. I could just surround the cage with rock, so the cage eye sore will be minimized.

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I read the title I laughed a little... I though how could a clam nip a fish... :)

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I read the title I laughed a little... I though how could a clam nip a fish... :)
I actually saw photos of a maxima that closed up on a hippo after getting picked on and the clam killed it...so not entirely out there.....

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept clams with Tangs and Dwarf Angels for years. The only time I had a problem was one time over 5 years ago before I switched how I feed my fish. Once I eliminated dry food and went with fresh, frozen, and live foods, I haven`t had a single problem despite having a clam 99% of the time. Not only that, I haven`t lost a fish to disease in that time and I have 6 tanks and 54 fish. Here is my Derasa and a piece of my Maxima taken a couple of days ago. There is a Purple Tang, Flame Angel, and CBB in the tank with them. Before these clams I had a 7 inch Derasa which I lost to a power outage.

man5.jpg

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept clams with Tangs and Dwarf Angels for years. The only time I had a problem was one time over 5 years ago before I switched how I feed my fish. Once I eliminated dry food and went with fresh, frozen, and live foods, I haven`t had a single problem despite having a clam 99% of the time. Not only that, I haven`t lost a fish to disease in that time and I have 6 tanks and 54 fish. Here is my Derasa and a piece of my Maxima taken a couple of days ago. There is a Purple Tang, Flame Angel, and CBB in the tank with them. Before these clams I had a 7 inch Derasa which I lost to a power outage.

man5.jpg
Agree!

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have kept clams with Tangs and Dwarf Angels for years. I have always fed with fresh, frozen, and live foods, I haven`t had a single problem yet.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this and I while many times fish are safe with clams I have come to believe many clam losses are due to fish and we never see the fish bite the clam, it only takes a couple nibbles a day in some cases to make a clam close up and then not get enough light. I have had several "safe" fish like purple and kole tangs develop a "taste" for the mantel. And yes, they were fed a lot and very fat! I only found out by recording the tank and fast forwarding.

I suspect a lot of mysterious clam issues could be traced back to this.

galactus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_4008-jpg.478242

Previously I had a maxima clam tip over while on vacation and landed foot side next to a bubble coral which stung it to death. My fish learned that clams tasted good and ate some of it before I got home. Only after that did my fish begin to nip at my other clam which was alive and well. It closed up everyday to avoid being nipped, but that prevented it from getting light.

So--- I made this nylon box out of a clear Tupperware bowl. I cut the bottom out, sewed nylon net over the top with nylon string, and added 4 clear acrylic turning rods from a venetian blind to anchor it down. It has worked great over the past 7 months. It has reduced flow (making clam a lottle more happy) and stopped the attacks. The clam has opened now completely everyday.

I think it has grown larger since the box was added also.

IMG_4008.JPG
I know this is an old thread but still top of the list when searching for how to protect a clam with hungry angel eyes looking at i, thinking it’s an all you can eat buffet. I have slightly modified your idea with a freshwater breeding cage, wrapped in mesh netting used for aquarium jump lids and ceramic media zip tied to the bottom to weight it down. I know it’s not the neatest of jobs but hope to refine it further and hope my example inspires others for similar situations who would like to keep a clam or two when having angels in the aquarium. As your example inspired myself.
IMG_5742.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back