How to prune zoas (safely)

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and things are growing well! ...too well. I have a paly that's growing psychotically fast and I see where things are heading. I figure it's smart to prune it back now before they really take off.

I have been trying to google and reading R2R threads but am terrifying myself about potential paly toxin poisoning. I think these are pandora palys; anyone know how toxic they are? I know I should assume they're all toxic but was curious if there's expert knowledge if these are top of the list or not.

How do I safely prune these palys? Do I pluck with tweezers? Do I throw them in the trash and quickly take them outside? Anyone tried reefdelete or other non invasive approaches?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Links to vids or guides would be great too!

20230612_124537.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not suggest plucking with tweezers. If they are encrusted on the rock, the rock can be cut underneath the zoas/palys with bone cutters, or remove the rock from the tank, then chisel away under the polyps. But they will just grow back if not all removed. Or just enjoy them. With zoas and palys, usually one or two will win, and it's usually the plain, cheap ones, in my experience.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back