OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Here is my analysis report from @Christoph. There’s an interesting piece here for the level of copper in my tank after using copper in my sand, and a few of the rocks a few times over the years. See below.

2F43730D-64B8-4986-92C4-2AAC5F442974.png

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just wanted to say thanks for this thread to the original OP and others who have provided valuable information here.
I was under the impression that once something, including the tank, had been exposed to copper it could never be used in a tank with coral or inverts.
Based on this it would seem the tank, heater, pumps, and hang on back filter (minus the sponge) could be reused for coral quarantine.

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed my 160g DT with copper, after removing all my inverts (mostly mushrooms). Had 2 angels with terrible ich, and that's now much better after 3 day ramp to therapeutic Cupramine levels. Angels are now swimming freely and eating well. Fingers crossed, and I will describe how it goes here.

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question - I am assuming all my mushrooms and snails need to sit in a fishless tank for 72 days - is that correct? Any way to speed this?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question - I am assuming all my mushrooms and snails need to sit in a fishless tank for 72 days - is that correct? Any way to speed this?
Yes this is correct. No, I would not rush it.

cdhappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up @4FordFamily, thanks for posting. While we all know we're not supposed to, but I dosed reef with copper once... had to nearly break down the tank to get it to bounce back (in the end all was ok, but I learned that the waiting time to QT is priceless in comparison to exhaustive task of removing copper from a DT). I've wondered how many actually have and most importantly about how they got the copper out after. Thanks again

Jurgen Frenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write-up @4FordFamily, thanks for posting. While we all know we're not supposed to, but I dosed reef with copper once... had to nearly break down the tank to get it to bounce back (in the end all was ok, but I learned that the waiting time to QT is priceless in comparison to exhaustive task of removing copper from a DT). I've wondered how many actually have and most importantly about how they got the copper out after. Thanks again
Couldn’t have said it better

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, started for me because I trusted my fish supplier. Oops. QT everything from now on. What a nuisance.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trusted my fish supplier.
Famous last words... I've bought captive bred fish directly from wholesale that all died of brook. Unfortunately you really can't trust anyone unless you can verify the biosecurity of the entire supply chain, which is basically impossible. I might trust captive bred directly from the source, but even then not a bad idea to quarantine. Treating a display tank with copper is not fun, but it is possible to remove the copper over time.

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me probably a week to get my copper levels stabilized. I suppose the rock and sand were absorbing some. Since stabilizing, copper has held totally steady at .5 - pretty cool. I love the Hannah Checker. (It's a pain to get the powder into the vial, but that's a matter for another thread. Better than the Seachem test and guessing shades of blue for sure).

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended length of time for copper treatment in DT (which is now a FOWLR, as all inverts have been removed)? I reduced copper after 35 days and am now seeing some flashing / scratching. I'm thinking I need to take copper back up and let it run for 75 days at therapeutic levels of 0.5 mg/l ... I'm thinking some of the ich in larval stage survived?? Any thoughts? No fish are showing visible signs but a number of them are flashing.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended length of time for copper treatment in DT (which is now a FOWLR, as all inverts have been removed)? I reduced copper after 35 days and am now seeing some flashing / scratching. I'm thinking I need to take copper back up and let it run for 75 days at therapeutic levels of 0.5 mg/l ... I'm thinking some of the ich in larval stage survived?? Any thoughts? No fish are showing visible signs but a number of them are flashing.
30 days fully therapeutic. If it dips below therapeutic range the clock restarts. That’s one of the difficulties of copper in the DT is that it swings a LOT. If you aren’t testin with a Hanna copper checker the likelihood is that not only are the swings causing issues but the testing error is plaguing you.

This is why treating in DT is not ideal, but if you must, a Hanna copper checker is paramount. Tanks absorb a lot of copper I remember my 180 “ate” almost an entire large bottle of coppersafe before it tested much copper. I was astonished! In QT this happens much much less.

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thank you. It may well have dipped for a day or two, but I was pretty consistent. Are we assuming that the copper kills the larval stage ich or not? I fear some remained larval thru treatment then hatched successfully once copper subsided???

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thank you. It may well have dipped for a day or two, but I was pretty consistent. Are we assuming that the copper kills the larval stage ich or not? I fear some remained larval thru treatment then hatched successfully once copper subsided???
Yes, 30 days of copper will take care of ich. If it dips below at all they may complete their life cycle opportunistically.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily, I’m having a brain-freeze. Will a 30-day treatment of CopperSafe kill mushrooms— other than that I have only fish— no snails, crabs, shrimp, or other corals. Thanks!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily, I’m having a brain-freeze. Will a 30-day treatment of CopperSafe kill mushrooms— other than that I have only fish— no snails, crabs, shrimp, or other corals. Thanks!
Yes copper is likely to kill mushrooms and other inverts/coral.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - in a moment of absent-mindedness, I accidentally used by Fish QT heater inside of my Coral QT. The fish QT had Cupramine in it. I immediately washed all my hardware with baking soda and vinegar but I just got copper readings from my coral tank. Fortunately there's only zoas and mushrooms but I just overnight shipped carbon, polyfilter, and cuprisorb to my house. About to do a 90% water change as well.

I can't believe I swapped my hardware. This is a huge, avoidable headache.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - in a moment of absent-mindedness, I accidentally used by Fish QT heater inside of my Coral QT. The fish QT had Cupramine in it. I immediately washed all my hardware with baking soda and vinegar but I just got copper readings from my coral tank. Fortunately there's only zoas and mushrooms but I just overnight shipped carbon, polyfilter, and cuprisorb to my house. About to do a 90% water change as well.

I can't believe I swapped my hardware. This is a huge, avoidable headache.
It happens, but I can’t imagine it caused any serious issue. Low levels of copper are fine in most reefs :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back