How to setup a quarantine tank?

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two 20gallon breeders for $10 today and wanted to use one for a quarantine tank. My display for the time being is just a 14g cube and it's just getting rolling so it's not cycled yet. Ammonia levels are still real high.

I'm wondering what I will need equipment wise to make the 20g a quarantine tank?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to house a couple clowns in it if I fill it with established water? Reason I ask is basically cause I'm tired of waiting for my cycle to complete before ordering my clowns.

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way your going to need the bacteria to convert the fish poo and pee to livable conditions. So unless you can get a good amount of live rock or believe in the snake oil they sell and say you can skip the cycle your out if luck. I'm sure if your ordering your clowns your paying a pretty penny and there's no reason to loose some really nice fish. Not much in reef keeping is fast or easy but best of luck. I've always got a bag of seachem matrix in my sump just incase I need a qt so something to think about.

Last edited:

Hydrahawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a QT setup, it needs to be stand alone. All you need is a HOB filter, heater and some PVC (for the fish to hide in). Since your cube is not cycled, I would wait on the clowns. You can go buy a HOB filter and put the sponge in your cube. That way, you can get some bacteria on the sponge when you are ready to setup the QT.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two 20gallon breeders for $10 today and wanted to use one for a quarantine tank. My display for the time being is just a 14g cube and it's just getting rolling so it's not cycled yet. Ammonia levels are still real high.

I'm wondering what I will need equipment wise to make the 20g a quarantine tank?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to house a couple clowns in it if I fill it with established water? Reason I ask is basically cause I'm tired of waiting for my cycle to complete before ordering my clowns.

A QT is really just another tank capable of biofiltration, so it still needs to be cycled. So, the answer is no, you cannot just put water from an established tank into the 20 gallon breeder and house the clowns in it. The QT tanks that are not cycled are emergency tanks, and they are a pain to manage correctly. This emergency QT has no established biofiltration, so you are constantly doing water changes to control the ammonia.

I would get HOB filter and a heater for one of the 20 gallon tanks, leave the tank bare and throw a shrimp in there and let it cycle along with your 14 gal biocube. Aside from maybe a cheap clip on lamp, that's all you need for a QT.

EDIT: I just saw that link posted by robbrouse. Excellent article on QT!!

Last edited:

kered38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dt I setup with live rock from an up and running system to cycle. I started a qt tank and am doing the shrimp method to cycle it. My question is how long do you normally leave the shrimp in there? I'm assuming until your ammonia goes up and back down to zero, but just wanted to check. My qt is a 20 gal with heater, hob filter, powerhead and 2 t5ho for lighting.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back