How to split return flow?

DFWreefjunky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall seeing setups with some sort of valve/setup to cause the return flow to alternate between diff nozzles. I can't remember the name if anyone has any idea what I'm referring to its greatly appreciated

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a product called a SQWD (pronounced squid) that sounds like what your describing. It's like a Y connection that alternates flow from the left to the right.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SCWD is one possibility but it robs a lot of flow due to all the gears inside the turbine it must spin.
A better, but more expensive option is an Oceans Motions Squirt or Super Squirt. They are powered by a small electric motor which turns a small gate and does not rob flow so a smaller pump can be used to achieve the same flow with minimal headloss.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just have my return pump connected to a ball valve the splits 2 lines. 1 to each side of the tank/return nozzle.

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why you want water to alternate between return lines?

My guess is to make a wave with out the expense of vortech's, Tunze, Jaboa, Hydor etc etc. I thought about it during my initial set up as well. At the time Ocean motions at 500 bucks was out of range. I still would like to add one though. Seems to be worth the money especially if you have a strong pump. Sea swirls are another viable option as well except they don't split the flow.

Oceans Motions Pretty cool however.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 80 51.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back