How to tube feed a fish

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the 100% pure oil. The amount would depend on the fish. Seahorses don't have much in the way of stomachs, so we would do 0.5mls. Something like a lionfish, could eat a small horse, so they would need more.

foshizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil is amazingly potent. So far I've sedated 2 fish so Im no expert, but I think 1 drop / liter is more than enough. Both fish were out within 2 minutes. Clownfish recovered faster than the regal angel but he hasn't eaten in a month. I'm hoping the regal will develop an appetite after a few tube feedings

ryan quave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im about to have to do this to a new foxface in qt had for 2.5 weeks. Haven't seen it eat and he is slowly wasting away. Tried everything and i can tell he is starting to weak.

Any advice on best way to do this?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im about to have to do this to a new foxface in qt had for 2.5 weeks. Haven't seen it eat and he is slowly wasting away. Tried everything and i can tell he is starting to weak.

Any advice on best way to do this?

I'd use some thick gloves to protect your hands from his poisonous spines. Sedate the fish using MS-222 beforehand, and insert the tube through the esophagus and into his stomach.

Something like this is ideal to use: https://www.bd.com/en-ca/products/m...ters/angiocath-autoguard-shielded-iv-catheter

Just practice with the angiocath many times before you actually do it!

ryan quave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will an infant feeding tube work? My gf brought one home from work today also i cant find ms 222 but can find clove oil locally will that work?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will an infant feeding tube work? My gf brought one home from work today also i cant find ms 222 but can find clove oil locally will that work?

Unfortunately, I think an infant feeding tube will be too large/thick.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back