Hows my new Favia looking?

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been in the tank 2 days now. Kept pretty central to the light but on a plug on the sandbed. It wasn't particularly bright red in the LFS so I am not too concerned about the dull colour.

I dont really know how to tell if Favia is happy or not to be honest so some guidance would be great. I haven't seen it extend any sweeper/feeders yet so is that a sign it's not happy? I figured I'd give it some time before I move it off the substrate and onto a lowlight, rock outcrop.

20240505_141029.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a war coral.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference? Sorry for the ignorance I am new to LPS
"War coral" is favities sp. True favia aren't found in the hobby but what's labeled as favia and favities have about the same care requirements. Favities is basically just "favia" with smaller polyps

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy. And war coral is just another name for favia.

If its not healthy the color will start to get dull, exoskeleton will expose and the sides will start to die back.

Favias are one of my favorites due to color variations for the price.

As for sweeper/feeders. It depends. Some of mine only show sweepers at night or when my lights are powering down the last few hours. They don't always come out during feeding sessions. I always check at night because that's when they tend to send them out to the max. Got to make sure they are not starting a war with nearby corals lol.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, war coral and favia which are now called dipsastrea are not the same.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"War coral" is favities sp. True favia aren't found in the hobby but what's labeled as favia and favities have about the same care requirements. Favities is basically just "favia" with smaller polyps
Correction: the difference between Favites and "Favia" (Dipsastraea) is a little complicated, but the main difference is that Favites is cerioid while Dipsastraea is plocoid, not their corallite size. Favites come in small (pentagona & friends), medium (abdita & friends), and large-polyp varieties (vasta & friends), while Dipsastraea really only comes in medium and large-polyp varieties. Note that the small polyp Favites species are technically not Favites at all; they just haven't been reclassified yet. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, such as the ex-Phymastraea species, Favites rotundata, or Dipsastraea rosaria, as well as Dipsastraea becoming subcerioid in intertidal areas, so you really have to take Favites/Dipsastraea identification on a case-by-case basis. Hope this helps.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back