Hydrometers scales.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the best and one of the most accurate ways (and cheapest to measure salinity in our tanks (and without even the need to calibrate them) is with the good old tried and trusted hydrometer. You know the one you either float in the tank or in a sample of water.

Now, the scales on most of these hydrometer have not changed in all the years I have been in the hobby, around 37 years now.

They are calibrated to read at a temperature of 25c. On the scale they have a green area that they recommend you keep your salinity at, usually from 1.018 to 1.026.
My question is why? We have long since ascertained that the best salinity for a reef tank is 1.026 which equates to 35ppm so at the top end of the scale (actually at the bottom reading on the hydrometer) surely what would be better is a line in the middle of the green area showing 1.026? Also perhaps the hydrometer should be set to read at 26c not 25. The salinity of1.026 reading being in the presipes of undesirable range with the current hobby hydrometers I have found.

Perhaps I am being over picky above but our hobby has moved on since hydrometers became available to us.

BTW I have a TMC floating hydrometer. 2 refractometers, one a read sea one and also a digital salinity (conductivity measuring converted to ppm) I threw away a swinging needle hydrometer years ago, most awful inaccurate things I have come across.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id assume because it’s used in fish only systems that don’t need the salinity that high.
So instead of 2 different ones the just give you a range.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the best and one of the most accurate ways (and cheapest to measure salinity in our tanks (and without even the need to calibrate them) is with the good old tried and trusted hydrometer. You know the one you either float in the tank or in a sample of water.

Now, the scales on most of these hydrometer have not changed in all the years I have been in the hobby, around 37 years now.

They are calibrated to read at a temperature of 25c. On the scale they have a green area that they recommend you keep your salinity at, usually from 1.018 to 1.026.
My question is why? We have long since ascertained that the best salinity for a reef tank is 1.026 which equates to 35ppm so at the top end of the scale (actually at the bottom reading on the hydrometer) surely what would be better is a line in the middle of the green area showing 1.026? Also perhaps the hydrometer should be set to read at 26c not 25. The salinity of1.026 reading being in the presipes of undesirable range with the current hobby hydrometers I have found.

Perhaps I am being over picky above but our hobby has moved on since hydrometers became available to us.

BTW I have a TMC floating hydrometer. 2 refractometers, one a read sea one and also a digital salinity (conductivity measuring converted to ppm) I threw away a swinging needle hydrometer years ago, most awful inaccurate things I have come across.
dont really care about the scale part but these are a must have in any reefers tool box IMO. There are a lot of fancy pants ways these days to measure salt but they all drift over time and having a glass hydrometer on hand to use as a baseline for calibrating and auditing your other devices is a life saver in my experience.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me do a PSA here. If you order any hydrometers in from EU countries, like Germany, you need to be aware that they will most likely measure density (g/ml), not specific gravity. TM makes both versions.

The 3 on the right measure density, the 1 on the left SG.

AM-JKLU_W9cpyLHpYFnRutO5hTulEXVPJxjlidOARNLFP5c-Nbz1Jj-gCea4pTPHEaRB_-U6arfYWHCybEkt9xyzfgCdIcEzLHgWAvKgLFlWYL7l0pIGRBVM9TxlD_wRrEiH_gC3HeZNfM-FUMpWv87SYaCkDQ=w532-h945-no

Mistaking one for the other will lead to some unhappy tank inhabitants ....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I should add, the TM hydrometer measuring in SG has 1.026 positioned directly in the center of the shaded area, which is what @atoll was wanting (I believe). So perhaps time for some new hydrometers atoll?
My 1.026 isnt in the middle its at the bottom of the green area they recommend you have your SG in. I have looked online at a few inc Aqua medic and Tropic marine both expensive ones and they are the same.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1.026 isnt in the middle its at the bottom of the green area they recommend you have your SG in. I have looked online at a few inc Aqua medic and Tropic marine both expensive ones and they are the same.
Are you looking at the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer measuring in specific gravity? Because all the high precision ones I have, for both Tropic Marin and Aqua Medic, have the measurement for 1.026 (or equivalent 1.023 g/ml) right in the center of the shaded area. See photo above.

@25C, 1.026 sg = 1.023 g/ml

@25C, 35 ppt = 1.0264 sg = 1.0233 g/ml

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer measuring in specific gravity? Because all the high precision ones I have, for both Tropic Marin and Aqua Medic, have the measurement for 1.026 (or equivalent 1.023 g/ml) right in the center of the shaded area. See photo above.

@25C, 1.026 sg = 1.023 g/ml

@25C, 35 ppt = 1.0264 sg = 1.0233 g/ml
Yeah the hydrometers in your photo show 1.023 in the middle of the shaded area. I was taking that as SG not g/ml. I thought SG was more appropriate for recording hence why I was fooled.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw away a swinging needle hydrometer years ago, most awful inaccurate things I have come across.
I love my Instant Ocean swing-arm hydrometer. The numbers they put on it are nowhere close, but after marking on the scale with my own S.G. standards, I find it to be really repeatable.
But I think I'm in the minority opinion on that one.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back