Hydros Kraken

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny I can't thank you enough for all this great information. You have helped me out tremendously. I really appreciate it. I certainly agree with your point of not using the dosers on wifi. What happens if you lose wifi in the middle of a dose? There is nothing to stop the doser from overdosing the tank. Once i get my credit card paid down a bit I am going to pull the trigger on this. I am sure I will have to refer back to this at some point. Thank you again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny I can't thank you enough for all this great information. You have helped me out tremendously. I really appreciate it. I certainly agree with your point of not using the dosers on wifi. What happens if you lose wifi in the middle of a dose? There is nothing to stop the doser from overdosing the tank. Once i get my credit card paid down a bit I am going to pull the trigger on this. I am sure I will have to refer back to this at some point. Thank you again.
I am glad to help out. I have been using Hydros now for 3 years but I added to it slowly over time. The collective makes it easy to add to your controllers as you get more experience and want it to do more functions with it. Just choose a controller that has the ports that you need to do what you want to do and add it into the collective. Since the controllers are daisy chained all together they do not use wifi for communication between the controllers in a collective. A collective does require 2 terminators and enough command bus cables to connect all the controllers together. There are 2 types of command bus cables one with data and power and one with data only. If the length is over 14ft for the cable you would use data only. You would have to have a source of power on both ends though. The XD, X10, XP8 and Kraken all provide power to the bus. There is also a power pack that can connect directly to the bus if needed but with it there has to be a data only cable between it and any other source of power. These supplies come with the starter kits with the X2, X3, X4 and XS. A better choice now would be the Pro Packs since they come with either an X3 or X4 and a XP8 with a command bus cable and 2 terminators. I believe they also come with a temp sensor and a pH probe. The wifi strips will stay in whatever state they are in until wifi communications is restored. I use drive ports and the built in pumps on the X10 for all my dosing, ATO and AWC. I have used the wifi strips for heaters, return and skimmer but the heaters have their own thermostats as backups. Now that the XP8 is out those are on the XP8 now. I still use the wifi strips for non critical uses and testing things when I try different setups. Also Hydros has a facebook group here https://m.facebook.com/groups/hydrosgroup/?ref=share and they also have a forum here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/ .

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty crazy Kraken setup right now. I use 1 kraken to provide most of my backup power for my 1000+ gallon farm setup. I run 12+ tanks and a TON of Hydros Wave Engines across them for my flow needs. I have 20 icecap gyres, and 3 octo pulse 2 power heads for flow. Kraken powers all of these Wave Engines for me! My farm is actually split up into 2 main systems, each system uses 2 parallel return pumps for redundancy but also for backup. I run a main varios 10 off standard AC power (not on Kracken) and also a Varios 8 return pump as well. The Varios 8 pump is powered by Kraken but only run if I lose power. Since Kraken doesn't support 36V out of the box, I use a 12V or 24V in to 36V booster to run these pumps. These varios 8s still provide enough flow to turn over the whole system when on battery too. Then I also run a bunch of dymax cooling fans that turn off/on based on tank temp.

I am running a 200Ah LIFEPO4 battery with its own external charger made for that type of battery, plus its bluetooth so I can see charging/usage info if I need to. I disabled the internal charger in Kraken to use this type of charger/battery.

The Kraken has a max battery draw of 10A. So out of a 200aH battery, at max draw, I should be able to get up to 20 hours of run time! When Hydros detects its on battery mode, I actually change my flow modes to save power. All tanks have 2 gyres, so I turn off the bottom one and run the top gyre at a constant speed to keep gas exchange up. Then I alternate turning on each of my backup varios 8 return pumps every 10 mins. I have to do this since running both at the same time, plus running the gyres, would exceed the 10A battery draw limit. Plus the cooling fans will trigger if for some reason the tanks are too warm (summer) on battery too.

Overall its pretty sweet that I can keep my whole 12+ tank, 1000 gallon farm running for at least 16 hours with flow and cooling. Heat is another issue but typically I dont lose much heat since my farm room is very well insulated. I might add a second 200aH battery soon and double my runtime as well.

1699562658956.png
How do the wave engine's behave when under battery power and only getting 12V?

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that. I'm pretty sure both my MP40s and my Vectra M2s are 24v.
I just got a kraken and am in the process of collecting the ancillaries i need to make it work well for my frag system.

on my main display I have my vortech's hooked up w/ the traditional ecotech battery backup cables to a 12v 100ah battery. the devices run at reduced speed when under battery backup, the vectra runs super slow and is noisy as hell but atleast keeps water moving through my sump.

for the frag system where im setting up the kraken i bought some 9v-40v to 24v converters (ty JeffB418 for the idea) for my jebao gyres and jebao return that connects to my LPS system so they can still run full speed under backup. I have 5 gyres on 100 gal SPS flat so i dont mind if the maxspect gyres run slow under power loss as long as the jebaos keep blasting. If I ever hooked up a vortech pump it would work the same.

Obviously the kraken is new and time will tell if its reliable etc but from what ive learned so far its incredibly flexible and efficient for what it is. paired with a 200AH lifepo4 battery i should be able to run on battery for pretty much any outage unless i have to pull out the generator for heat. My frag tank is in my basement near my gas furnace, im looking into wiring my furnace fan into the kraken (if the voltage/draw works out). theoretically that would cover my heating too in the event of a longer duration outage.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered my own question. I had glued all my power bricks to the wall with velcro so I didn't want to pull them down but I did to confirm. Sure enough, both the MP40s and Vectra M2s are 36v. Not the end of the world and probably better since the M2s would have drained the battery quickly. My kraken will be here next week. I will hook up my maxspect 330s (24v) to the kraken in the display. I will hook up a jabeao SOW 3 (12v) or 4 (24v) to the kraken for the frag section of my sump. During a power outage that will maintain O2 and water movement for both display and frag/sump. No need for the return pumps to be running. If the power outage is prolonged I will need the generator for the heaters anyways.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Kraken so far. I got a 200ah lithium iron phosphate backing up my wave engine, jebao return pump and Cor 20 on my frag systems.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Kraken so far. I got a 200ah lithium iron phosphate backing up my wave engine, jebao return pump and Cor 20 on my frag systems.
If you use that type of battery instead of a lead acid gel cell you have to disable the onboard charger in the Kraken since it is not compatible with that type of battery. You will have to use a charger that is compatible with that type of battery. The Kraken can only charge a lead acid gel cell type battery.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use that type of battery instead of a lead acid gel cell you have to disable the onboard charger in the Kraken since it is not compatible with that type of battery. You will have to use a charger that is compatible with that type of battery. The Kraken can only charge a lead acid gel cell type battery.
yep, I disconnected the jumpers in the kraken and have my lipo charger connected.

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a real bummer. I hope someday they come up with an addon to give us 36V ports.

Love your setup! How do you like the Kraken so far?
You can use a 24v to 36 step up converter to get this to work. Very easy to make cables.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waveengine running 2x Octopulse 4s and a xf350 gyre. I also have a Sicce sdc 9.0 return pump (24v).

How do I figure out what size battery to use? For example how long can I expect three pumps to run in low power mode from a 50Ah battery? I can’t find out the current draw of the Waveengine in low power mode.

This is the current full power draw (I guess), and I think at maximum flow as I have it, the pumps total ~35W.

IMG_0043.jpeg

Also, does anyone know if the Sicce return pump will even work at 12v?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That display only show what the brain of the WaveEngine is using and not the pumps themselves. You can always parallel more than one battery together if needed. You would need to create a schedule for low power mode. So the percentage you set in that schedule will determine the current of the WaveEngine since most of the current will be drawn by the pumps themselves. I don't think the Sicce will run on 12v. I have the SDC 3.0 and it will not run at 12v. The previous return I was using was a AC pump so it didn't run when there was no power. I just run my 2 MP10's during no power mode. They will run at 12v as long as the speed is dialed back. There is a DC to DC converter you can get that would convert 12-24v to 24v. I have seen where others have used it for this purpose as long as the current rating is not exceeded by the pump.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a full line of hydros controllers with XS, X10/iV, XP8, wave engine, and kraken. It is in the video on my build thread. The kraken runs the wave engine which runs my maxspect XF 350s. The kraken also runs my redsea reef wave and 3 jebao SOW4s in the sump. also my sump redsea LED50 light. During power outage only the 2 XF 350s run and the jebao SOW4 in the sump frag area. I had a recent power outage and it worked for several hours. Not sure how long it would run but it gives the power company time to fix the issue and me time to get the generator out. I am really loving the hydros platform thus far.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand this kraken. We have 2 24 volt and 2 12 volt minn kota trolling motors on the lagoon. Right now we run them directly off the battery banks. Charging is solar and if the suns not shining a generator kicks in to keep the battery’s charged.

what does the kraken do that a battery doesn’t? The kraken just hooks to a battery and is a lead acid charger?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand this kraken. We have 2 24 volt and 2 12 volt minn kota trolling motors on the lagoon. Right now we run them directly off the battery banks. Charging is solar and if the suns not shining a generator kicks in to keep the battery’s charged.

what does the kraken do that a battery doesn’t? The kraken just hooks to a battery and is a lead acid charger?
I am not sure about running trolling motors with it. It is more for aquarium use. I don't see trolling motors in a reef tank. The Kraken will provide 8 24v controlled outputs and 4 12v controlled outputs. When there is no AC power then the 24v outputs will still have 12v if you have them active during low power mode and the 12v outputs would still have 12v if active during low power. There are several Hydros controllers that require a 24v power source other than the command bus. Theses can also be powered with the Kraken 24v outputs. The Meanwell 24v supply that comes with the Kraken is a 480 watt supply.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am building out a new GHL implementation on my 900L using Hydros Kraken to power the 24V and 12V devices.

IMG_3701-2.jpg

IMG_3700-2.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%

Back