I’m confused help please

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just bought this to double check with my Hanna that the salinity is correct. Today I’ve checked the water about 3-4 times as I made new water all about 30-60 mins apart each time I put it down for more then a few mins it needs to be recalibrated and shows that the RO water has salt in it. I’m so confused on what’s going on it’s not being moved till I pick it back up again could the cold in my basement be changing it every few mins?

8D2D7559-8DDE-48B0-9DD5-B066B5FB216F.jpeg

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clean it with RO water and wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth between use. As for calibration, are you using calibration fluid that is set to 35?
I am cleaning in between uses as that was my first thought there must be some left over. I use Ro to set it at 0 should I use my Hanna packets to set it at 25?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that the Hanna packets are meant to calibrate conductivity meters, not refractometers.

Not sure how bad it would be to use those but I know Randy's formulas using table salt are different for conductivity vs refractivity (if that's the word).

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be aware that the Hanna packets are meant to calibrate conductivity meters, not refractometers.

Not sure how bad it would be to use those but I know Randy's formulas using table salt are different for conductivity vs refractivity (if that's the word).
Yeah I’m thinking the RO water wasn’t a issue because it seems to be pretty accurate

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought this to double check with my Hanna that the salinity is correct. Today I’ve checked the water about 3-4 times as I made new water all about 30-60 mins apart each time I put it down for more then a few mins it needs to be recalibrated and shows that the RO water has salt in it. I’m so confused on what’s going on it’s not being moved till I pick it back up again could the cold in my basement be changing it every few mins?

8D2D7559-8DDE-48B0-9DD5-B066B5FB216F.jpeg

You can not use the hannah packet for this

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will be slightly off with RODI/distilled but I think he has a hanna.

The problem is cheap refractometers are also made for brine and not seawater. Seawater ones cost more I guess.

You can just buy solution on amazon... careful.. sometimes the pre made solutions are off... HA!!! But hey you have a hanna to double check it.

If you want one that won't drift when you look at it funny and is lab grade... look up Vee Gee STX-3 Refractometer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it will be slightly off with RODI/distilled but I think he has a hanna.

The problem is cheap refractometers are also made for brine and not seawater. Seawater ones cost more I guess.

You can just buy solution on amazon... careful.. sometimes the pre made solutions are off... HA!!! But hey you have a hanna to double check it.

If you want one that won't drift when you look at it funny and is lab grade... look up Vee Gee STX-3 Refractometer.
I bought one of those going to have it come in soon. Thought the one I have currently isn’t the lowest quality ones it’s a mid tier one but I’ll check with vee how it stacks ip

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back