OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't it surprise you at how fast they can move? Normally it's just like la-la-la-ing around and then Bam! Across the tank in a split second. Deceiving.
Oh yeah, they can move! I just try and stay out of the tank as much as possible so I don’t spook him much.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the idol was picking at the algae growing on the pvc pipes when I got home from work this afternoon so I decided I’d try nori again. The first attempt in the first several days was a no go and I hadn’t tried again since. Didn’t take it long to go for it today!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the idol was picking at the algae growing on the pvc pipes when I got home from work this afternoon so I decided I’d try nori again. The first attempt in the first several days was a no go and I hadn’t tried again since. Didn’t take it long to go for it today!

Nice, mine eats it too. Favorite thing is clams though. Doesn't eat my Maxima clams. It has been picking at a brain coral I have that is dying but seems to leave the healthy ones alone.
Very easy fish, at least if you can get it to eat. You've done a great job of that!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, mine eats it too. Favorite thing is clams though. Doesn't eat my Maxima clams. It has been picking at a brain coral I have that is dying but seems to leave the healthy ones alone.
Very easy fish, at least if you can get it to eat. You've done a great job of that!
I’m so glad this has gone the way it has on my first attempt. Next goal is keeping him alive for 5+ years.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so cool. Look at that filament!!!!!
Is he adding weight to the body, visibly?
Living vicariously...

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so cool. Look at that filament!!!!!
Is he adding weight to the body, visibly?
Living vicariously...
It hasn’t lost any thickness for sure and maybe slightly thicker than at time of arrival. I feed 3 times a day and it eats good all 3 times.
I’m hoping to really start seeing some added thickness now that the medicated feeding is finished.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since my last updates. The fish is still doing ok. On Christmas it got an 80% water change to remove copper and then dosed the first round of PraziPro. I’ve been trying to get it eating pellets the last couple days but it isn’t interested. QT treatments will be done soon and it’ll sit in unmedicated QT for a couple weeks.

66C81699-422C-47B1-AAA0-C6EC286EBADA.jpeg

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ok? You've done a great job and obviously recieved a healthy fish. You had it made getting it to nls in qt. I'm sure it will do it again if you feed your dt that. I use nls hex shield for ip's.

Keep us updated very nice fish. I haven't had the cojones to try an idol.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ok? You've done a great job and obviously recieved a healthy fish. You had it made getting it to nls in qt. I'm sure it will do it again if you feed your dt that. I use nls hex shield for ip's.

Keep us updated very nice fish. I haven't had the cojones to try an idol.
Thanks S2G,
It eats frozen foods (mysis, clam, and an angelfish and butterfly fish mix) mostly. I did get it to eat pellets one time in the beginning but not really since so I’ve been sticking to what it would it will eat while medicating. Since copper was finished I revisited feeding pellet. It’ll get there just needs to associate it as being edible.

I made sure I bought a specimen from the South Pacific as I’ve read from multiple places that they had the best odds of eating. Was a little more expensive from that region but it’s definitely played out well so far.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks S2G,
It eats frozen foods (mysis, clam, and an angelfish and butterfly fish mix) mostly. I did get it to eat pellets one time in the beginning but not really since so I’ve been sticking to what it would it will eat while medicating. Since copper was finished I revisited feeding pellet. It’ll get there just needs to associate it as being edible.

I made sure I bought a specimen from the South Pacific as I’ve read from multiple places that they had the best odds of eating. Was a little more expensive from that region but it’s definitely played out well so far.

Thanks for the locale info. I'll definitely use it in the future.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks 2 months since getting my Moorish Idol. Still eating but won’t eat from the water column. It waits for the food to settle on the bottom then picks at it. Been off medications now for just over a week and just monitoring.

It lost its streamer a while back. It kept getting it tangled and in knots so it eventually came off.

1D658E6B-C2CC-47AA-A524-2CD361176302.jpeg 2EFBE3D4-0A7A-4CF2-8923-3BC1FA8A3D29.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. The fin of mine was broken off when I first got it but now is growing back. If a coral is struggling he thinks it's his job in life to finish it off :-/
The Moorish Idol is probably what is causing it to struggle to begin with! LOL

Hoping now that the meds are out that it will really start eating and get some thickness put on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back