I am confused about RODI

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of your cost will realistically be your resin and filters and you can make hundreds or thousands of gallons per change out depending hour bad your source water is.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make between 20-80 gallons a month; my bill is always about $60, was that price when I didn't have the RODI set up. Even if it were $50 extra per month, I pay that not to drive the LFS and lug water around every week.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@PizzaIan339 lots of specific questions which as pointed out would depend on your utility rates.

I'm in California and I just bought my own RODI unit (used to run to the LFS). I'm filling up outside and running the waste water into a bucket and just dumping that on my lemon tree and other fruit trees.
I an also in CA but I skip the bucket and just ran a srtaight drip line off of my brine line there are like 30 1 g per hour drippers spread all over my planters in the backyard for the brine. I guess I should mention my RODI unit is installed on the back patio under my patio cover. I live only a mile from the beach so it rarely gets below 50°f or above 90°f. I have the greenest yard on the block LOL. I am however considering adding a brine reservoir with a pump to alieviate the back pressure on the brine line.

Last edited:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is one of the things that’s an absolute no brainer for saving money in this. Where I am a gallon of rodi from the LFS is $1.

Even a mere 5 gallons a week and any vaguely appropriately sized RODI pays for itself in a year.

If you get one starting out before you fill your tank the break even is probably a few weeks for anything other than a nano.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typo sorry I meant how much to make 5 gallons
Lol, they're still answering you with $$. As someone else said, most RODIs waste about three gallons for every gallon of filtered water they produce. This will depend on your water pressure, and I got to almost 1 gallon waste per 1 gallon of filtered when I added a booster pump.

Timewise, if you have adequate household water pressure (about 60 psi), a 75 gpd system should produce 3 gallons of filtered water in an hour.

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they don’t tell you is water pressure is huge when it comes to efficiency - the amount of waste water goes up big time when you go under 60/70 psi. We are on a well so rodi is a must but we only get 40 psi and a booster pump made a huge difference ($125)

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they don’t tell you is water pressure is huge when it comes to efficiency - the amount of waste water goes up big time when you go under 60/70 psi. We are on a well so rodi is a must but we only get 40 psi and a booster pump made a huge difference ($125)
Water temperature is also critical.

Many venders use Filmtec membranes - these are factory tested at 77F and 50 PSI. Colder water or lower pressure will dramatically affect production. How much? Input your data to this calculator to find out.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm the primary bread winner so I just go buy what I want. Christmas presents are just a way for the family to spend my money on things I've been on the fence about LOL.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI Here is the RODI unit I was planning on getting. Is the one fine?
There are no cloramines in my water as well.
It will work but you will pay more for the cartridges since you have to buy the ones from aquaticlife. You are better off money wise if you go with one with standard size canisters, that way you can buy the filters you want and not be tied to theirs. Theirs say they are 5 micron and I personally don't go over 1 micron. Whatever you decide to buy, if it doesn't come with a tds meter then buy a handheld one. Should be able to get one for around $20 (USD) or less.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work but you will pay more for the cartridges since you have to buy the ones from aquaticlife. You are better off money wise if you go with one with standard size canisters, that way you can buy the filters you want and not be tied to theirs. Theirs say they are 5 micron and I personally don't go over 1 micron. Whatever you decide to buy, if it doesn't come with a tds meter then buy a handheld one. Should be able to get one for around $20 (USD) or less.
I understand but I have a nano so I will not have to replace them very often plus I need to move and disassemble it fast.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but I have a nano so I will not have to replace them very often plus I need to move and disassemble it fast.
Where do you live? I bet you can find a used RODI unit (with the better/universal canisters) and then just replace the filters.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Massachusetts but I can’t go used as a relitive asked for a link and would get me anything under $100. And I really don’t want to have him go through the haste of used. If there is a better one under$100 then I would consider it though!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Massachusetts but I can’t go used as a relitive asked for a link and would get me anything under $100. And I really don’t want to have him go through the haste of used. If there is a better one under$100 then I would consider it though!
saltwateraquarium.com has some just a little above $100... maybe you can ask him to send you the $ and you can pay the rest?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%

Back