I beat Dino!

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple actually. I ran Phosguard during an approximate 80 hour blackout. After the blackout I removed the phosguard and treated the system with DinoX (from BRS) for 2 days. And that's about it. I'm currently dosing Nopox and beefed up my cuc. (phosphates were 0.25, nitrates 0.0)...

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

No invert loss. Both shrimp are healthy. Crabs are OK and snails when I see them seem fine.

It's been 4 days since the blackout. No dyno return, yet. But I am battling green algae and some gha.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Like everything, I have only read totally mixed reviews on its use. Nice to get a first hand report. Thanks!

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

No invert loss. Both shrimp are healthy. Crabs are OK and snails when I see them seem fine.

It's been 4 days since the blackout. No dyno return, yet. But I am battling green algae and some gha.

You dosed the dino-x after the blackout, correct? What were your nutrient levels before and after the blackout? What was the status of the dinos after the blackout and before the dino-x dosing?

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosed the dino-x after the blackout, correct? What were your nutrient levels before and after the blackout? What was the status of the dinos after the blackout and before the dino-x dosing?
Phosphates were 0.25, nitrates 0.0.
I have yet to check phosphate again, nitrates still 0.0.
Yes I dosed DinoX after the blackout. The Dino was pretty much gone after the black. There were some white/bleached pieces that I plucked out.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates were 0.25, nitrates 0.0.
I have yet to check phosphate again, nitrates still 0.0.
Yes I dosed DinoX after the blackout. The Dino was pretty much gone after the black. There were some white/bleached pieces that I plucked out.

Interesting. Phosphates .25 or .025?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah .25 is fairly high. Sounds like you have a bit of a nutrient imbalance with NO3 coming up 0 and PO4 that high. Do you carbon dose?

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah .25 is fairly high. Sounds like you have a bit of a nutrient imbalance with NO3 coming up 0 and PO4 that high. Do you carbon dose?
I do not dose carbon. I'm still fairly new to reefing. This is my first tank and I started in March...

Collin S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update this in a month
A lot of people think they have beaten Dino's and have them pop back up after a month once they rebound.
I have had this happen multiple times.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I checked a few days ago:
Nitrate-0
Phos - 0.08
(i haven't checked cal/dkh/mag)
I stopped nopox a few days ago, especially after the phosphates dropped.

I'm honestly about to reboot the system. I have lots of acid bathed Pukani...

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd surmise that your nutrient imbalance has created a system in which only dinos can grow and not be outcompeted by more "desirable" algaes. I'd work on getting your nutrients in balance, rather than starting over.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemlawk, just so you're aware, NOPOX is carbon. All it did for me was grow cyano, and once I saw that I stopped. Cyano went away in a few days, then came the GHA infestation. I'm manually removing that and fighting it with a refugium growing GHA for now... Might try chaeto again but I can't keep it alive historically. I'm slowly winning the battle with GHA. Slow and steady wins the race, like my cousin the land turtle when he raced that rabbit.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back