I dread changing GFO in a reactor — any suggestions?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m currently running a GFO reactor and I truly dread changing out the media. Here are my main complaints.
  • Dumping out the old GFO is a pain, and it always seems to take me a rinse out or two to get all of it out.
  • I prefer to rinse the new media before putting it in the reactor so I end up having to put wet media into the chamber. I still end up running the pump and letting the outflow drain into a bucket until it clears. So maybe I skip the pre-rinse
  • I always end up creating a GFO dust cloud and spilling GFO when I try to refill the reactor.
Okay. I’m hoping that the collective experience and wisdom of this group might have some ideas for me on how to do this chore better. Thanks in advance

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To empty I take it outside and rinse with a garden hose but not everyone is able to do that I guess. For filling I use a spoon to prevent a mess when adding media. I have RO at the sink so I can keep adding that to keep dust down and also rinse the media. Again something everyone may not have.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the steps I take when changing GFO:

• Add dry GFO to reactor without sponges.
  • Have a bucket nearby, and place the outlet of the reactor inside the container.
  • Close your ATO and have mixed seawater handy to replace the water removed after the rinse to prevent dropping salinity.
  • Turn on the reactor pump, and allow water to flow through the reactor into the bucket until the water on the outlet comes out clear.
  • You can alternatively rinse your GFO prior to a water change.
  • When the reactor output is clear, add the outlet back to the tank or sump.
To change out exhausted GFO:

• Close the reactor pump.
  • Remove the GFO canister, and take it to a sink.
  • Spill out the water, ensuring the solid granules stay in the container.
  • Shake out the exhausted GFO into a garbage can.
  • If needed, rinse out the canister with tap water to remove residual granules.
I hope this helps. :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate and Debbie downer voice here. GFO is annoying. You can take every step on earth to avoid a mess, but it’s still going to be a chore. I got it down pretty dang quick and stopped using it anyway because it is just inconvenient. At any rate….

I use spent gallon size vinegar jugs for my rodi water quick use. I always keep 3-4 laying around I can fill with the large rodi storage in the garage.

I use BRS reactors and just buy multiple extra inserts.

If I want to do a quick change, I will fill a fresh insert with the needed amount of gfo and just pour rodi over it until it runs clear out the bottom of the insert. Pop on the cap.

Shut off the reactor manifold under the tank, quickly unscrew the reactor housing and pull the old insert out and put the fresh one in. Tighten it all down and open the manifold valve back up. All in all it takes literally about 2 minutes to swap gfo. Still an annoying chore.

Washing the old gfo out was usually done on another day after it dried out. Pours away easier. Scrub out the dirty insert with a brush or soak it in something to dissolve the little tube worms and spiros that grow on them so quickly.

Despite my tank being oversized for a standard sized reactor, ultimately I started mixing gfo and carbon together and using the sponges to hold it in place and prevent tumbling. The process for replacing rox carbon is similar but more labor intensive because it needs to soak prior to rinsing or it all just floats. Carbon is REAL annoying to change out. If you had a dedicated fish room with a fish sink, running rodi on tap, and dirty counter space with ample storage, you could actually keep large quantities of this stuff pre-rinsed and resting in rodi water for quick use. That would be the ultimate convenience. Unfortunately for me, the tank is on the clear opposite end of the house from my water storage and hoses

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the steps I take when changing GFO:

• Add dry GFO to reactor without sponges.
  • Have a bucket nearby, and place the outlet of the reactor inside the container.
  • Close your ATO and have mixed seawater handy to replace the water removed after the rinse to prevent dropping salinity.
  • Turn on the reactor pump, and allow water to flow through the reactor into the bucket until the water on the outlet comes out clear.
  • You can alternatively rinse your GFO prior to a water change.
  • When the reactor output is clear, add the outlet back to the tank or sump.
To change out exhausted GFO:

• Close the reactor pump.
  • Remove the GFO canister, and take it to a sink.
  • Spill out the water, ensuring the solid granules stay in the container.
  • Shake out the exhausted GFO into a garbage can.
  • If needed, rinse out the canister with tap water to remove residual granules.
I hope this helps. :)
Thanks @Miami Reef thats sort of my process now it just seems tedious but good to know that I’m not the only one that does it this way.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate and Debbie downer voice here. GFO is annoying. You can take every step on earth to avoid a mess, but it’s still going to be a chore. I got it down pretty dang quick and stopped using it anyway because it is just inconvenient. At any rate….

I use spent gallon size vinegar jugs for my rodi water quick use. I always keep 3-4 laying around I can fill with the large rodi storage in the garage.

If I want to do a quick change, I will fill a fresh insert with the needed amount of gfo and just pour rodi over it until it runs clear out the bottom of the insert. Pop on the cap.

Shut off the reactor manifold under the tank, quickly unscrew the reactor housing and pull the old insert out and put the fresh one in. Tighten it all down and open the manifold valve back up. All in all it takes literally about 2 minutes to swap gfo. Still an annoying chore.

Washing the old gfo out was usually done on another day after it dried out. Pours away easier. Scrub out the dirty insert with a brush or soak it in something to dissolve the little tube worms and spiros that grow on them so quickly.

Despite my tank being oversized for a standard sized reactor, ultimately I started mixing gfo and carbon together and using the sponges to hold it in place and prevent tumbling. The process for replacing rox carbon is similar but more labor intensive because it needs to soak prior to rinsing or it all just floats. Carbon is REAL annoying to change out. If you had a dedicated fish room with a fish sink, running rodi on tap, and dirty counter space with ample storage, you could actually keep large quantities of this stuff pre-rinsed and resting in rodi water for quick use. That would be the ultimate convenience. Unfortunately for me, the tank is on the clear opposite end of the house from my water storage and hoses
Are you using the media cartridges to hold the GFO?
That seems like a great idea. Can you see through the cartridge enough to see what the turnover looks like?

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the sponges/filters the most annoying and stopped using them all together and now just use filter floss instead. Also allows me to just dump the whole content of the canister without thought of the two sponges and having to clean them.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dump it and rinse it. Don't know your setup but when I run a cannister it is off a return plenum with gate valve. The return water just goes back to the sump. I just use a hang on (sump) filter sock holder and run the return water through it. Pretty much cleans up any GFO particles or dust from returning to the tank.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dump it and rinse it. Don't know your setup but when I run a cannister it is off a return plenum with gate valve. The return water just goes back to the sump. I just use a hang on (sump) filter sock holder and run the return water through it. Pretty much cleans up any GFO particles or dust from returning to the tank.
Thanks. Right now I have to pull the return hose out and empty it into a bucket until it runs clear. Not a huge deal but I need to “overfill” my sump so I have enough extra water for the rinse process.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah no matter what one does GFO is a pain to swap out. It is messy regardless of how many precautions one takes. The one thing you noted is key. Buying a spare or multiple makes it easier to include the pump. This way you can rinse to clear it before using then swap it out. Clean the old one and let it dry for next use.

I gave up using it for this reason - too much work not enough reward. Just my experience and opinion.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back