I Going to Need Some Help

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about this and decided for my mom's birthday in Dec. I am going to get a 2.5 gallon bowfront for her desk at work. What kind of filter should I use??? I'm not going to use a skimmer, because of the eye sore, and I can't drill it because I would have no where to place a sump. What amount of wattage, would 10 watts be enough??? It will be a zoa only tank, most if not all of the corals will be completly propagated from my nano. Last question, should I use a sand bed, 1-1.5in, or crushed coral, same depth???

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure about the wattage question but I would strongly recommend doing a sand bed, not crushed coral. I've had both and had so many issues with cyano and algae with the crushed coral but no issues whatsoever with the sand. Thats just my 2 cents :) Sounds like it will be a nice tank!

shivametimbas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a 2.5 mini-bow with an AC50 "fuge" on it. i didnt have anything else for flow and it seemed to be fine. i built a canopy for it that had 2x18w 50/50 pc lighting.
i wouldnt go with crused coral, but thats just me i guess
100_0945.jpg

here is a pic of the acfuge:
acfuge.jpg

100_1048.jpg

i am gonna use the lighting for something else soon, but could sell the canopy if ya want to go that route.
fts1_22_06full.jpg

updateflash.jpg

OP
OP
maroonytunes

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, thanks for the link.

Furforfour,

Where did you get the 18w coralife fixture??? I will probally put in a seahorse after 2-3 months and then when he gets big enough, I 'll put him in my nano with my brother's seahorse, Sea.

Water changes will be sent with my mom, 1, 7oz plastic cup, full of water from my nano, two-three times a week.

When winter hits, if the temperatures are to cold I will add a 7.5 watt heater.

Lights will be automated with timers. The seahorse will come home over any school breaks or vacations.

Thanks everone for all your help,

Maroonytunes

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 5.5 with a shallow sand bed (~1"), a small HOB (Regent 10-20 I think), no skimmer, with bi weekly waterchanges. I run (2)-20W screw in 50/50 bulbs and it is definitely not too much for any of the zoas I have.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back