I got the ick, I think

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 3 weeks ago I introduced a sailfin tang to my tank. All was good for about a week an a half when I found in dead in the bottom of the tank. I know I'm gonna hear it but I did not QT it and put it in my DT. The LFS I bought it from runs meds in all there fish holding tanks so I thought I would be good. Well I wasn't. Things will be done differently in future with a QT tank. Anyway when removing it from the tank I noticed a few white specs on it and thought it was ick. A week later I lost my dragon goby and my lawnmower blenny. Sucks... Looking at my tank tonight and I can see ick on 1 of my clowns and also on my jack knife. I'm planning on taking down my tank anyway to downsize alittle but not sure where to go from here. I'm thinking of setting up 2 different holding tanks plus some tubs for all my LR. I'm going to transfer all my coral into 1 tank and was going to transfer all my fish into a QT tank and treat for ick with copper. How will the ick effect my live rock? Can ick transfer on LR when my new tank is set up. Should I keep the LR and corals separate for a certain amount of time so in ick will not transfer into my new tank. the fish will not be put into the new tank until the ick is cleared up. Hope I'm being clear here and really at a loss on what to do as it's not a small tank, 220 gallons. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on what you would do here.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also spoke with the LFS and they say they have a food that will treat parasites, not sure how good or even if at all it will work. I'm also concerned that the fish will be really stressed out from going into a QT a get worse then they are now and die anyway. What are your thoughts on this as well.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots have been written about saltwater ICH or Cryptocaryon.

you may want to review this.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

That said, in my experiences with it, fish dont succumb to it that fast without you noticing them being ill. it may even show in stages as the white spots you see on a fish are just one stage of it's life cycle. now, before you go any further. go observe. If you do see signs of it, remove all your fish to a QT. then treat them with copper or hyposalinity as these are the two best methods IMPO. Dont treat your DT. Leave it fishless for 6-8 weeks to allow the parasite to run its life cycle. Without a fish to host, it will breat the cycle and die. Also, Hyposalinity ONLY kills it in a certain protozoan stage so if you go this route, follow it ALL THE WAY THRU.

I had it bad at one time. I didnt have inverts nor corals at the time so we did 6 weeks of Hypo in the DT. killed it and have never had it again. this was in my 180, so if it is easier for you to QT all your Inverts and corals and then run HYPO in your DT, go that route. DONT put any copper in there as you will need to trash your rock and substrate afterwards.

I wont scorn you on QT because I dont. I should. but I never have. even when I have the ability to set one up. But hey, I live on the edge baby!

Good luck.

Last edited:

Siasl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two cents to add as I have lost the ick battle once and won it once

1) i feel like cupramine works very well at the does (just ramp it up at half speed to full values)

2) Pickupman66 above mentions 6-8 weeks of display tank going fish-less - I read a Looonnnggggg advanced aquarist or like posting that recommended 12 weeks for greater certainty. I don't know the detailed science, but I was not about to go through the process twice so I waited to week 12.

3) QT. 'nuff said.

Good luck and sorry for your loses.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help you guys, I think I'm gonna pull the fish out and QT and treat them for a couple of months. I'm going to read the treatments when I get a chance today(at work now) also I'm gonna putt all corals and LR in holding tanks and break down my tank cause I'm going ''cube'' anyway. Was going to wait a few months to do this but it looks like my tank has it's own schedule, lol thanks again for all the info and insite. I really appreciate it. Got a lot of work ahead of me tonight! Lol

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I finally got everything in a QT tank (started a new thread with the set up) does anyone know what the correct level if copper should be in the tank? I've read 2.5-4ppm. Any thoughts on this?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 89 44.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back