I guess we're not the only ones...!

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we're not the only ones in love with zoos! Here are a couple pictures I took tonight of my clown hosting in a colony of zoos!! Enjoy!

P8102075.jpg

P8102077.jpg

P8102078.jpg

Actinic.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine does the same thing, i think he sometimes gets kicked out of the anemone by the female.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome pics.. :)

I'm contemplating on getting a pair for True Perculas but they cost $69.99 for the pair.. is that too much or fair price?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool pics ya'll ;)

btw...how the heck do you determine the sex's of your clown fish in order to come up with a pair?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are juveniles they are all the same sex(kinda like unisex), they don't determine sex until they mature and is based on environment and how many other clowns are around them....Usually a clownfish that turns female will be the only female in the group and all other fish will be males or suppressed males, if the female dies the largest male will turn and become the alpha female and continue the breeding line, while the next male in line will become the alpha male. A clownfish that is all by itself for long periods of time will turn female......

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so are you saying, most likely the largest clown will be the female? (given the same species obviously).

i should post pics of my 2 clowns, they were seperate for almost a year in different tanks until i just moved recently and had to put them together.

now they swim together all of the time, and the larger one seems to be making some spawning like movements towards the smaller clown.

the odd thing is (i'm not even sure if they are the same species). but one of them are those rare black onyx clowns from ORA. its completely black with white stripes. i'll get a pic up soon hopefully.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually in all species of clowns the larger one will be female, the smaller one will be male. There have been reports in captivity that a clown that has changed from male to female can change back.....This is very rare and in the wild would never happen or be possible......I have read almost everything there is to read on clowns and own many books, one in particular that is very rare(how you like that) and is no longer in print and was only in print for the business sector for aqua-culturing clown fish.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hermit that does the same thing. He dives into my palys with the top if his shell hanging out. Not as classic as Twons first pic but still along the same line.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look to be Amphiprion ocellaris......True percs hae a larger black band around the center stripe and have more black on them around all stripes.....They are just as cute though....

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want gold stripes... one of our local stores has them and they are gorgeous clowns. Spawn fairly well also, from anything I've seen yet.

:D
laurie

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks they are cute! It's cute how they rub all up on each other too when the actinics come on...makes me feel like putting a little Barry White on!!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female maroon and she was mean....She also like to rearrange the tank to her fitting. She also bit me quite a few time too that drew blood. She was one of the prettiest clowns I had ever seen though....I had to trade her away....Hey stix you might find yourself one day a breeding pair if you keep them long enough....I have never had luck with Percs or Ocs.....

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine were tank raised, and they were spawning, not sure anymore; havne't seen any eggs in a while, but that really doesn't mean much.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons are far and away the most aggressive of the clowns. I've got one I've had for going on ten years now (had her before I met my wife). She went through a really bad biting phase, but never drew blood. I felt like she hit me hard enough a few times, but only red marks... She can lift a 4" diameter piece of rock and sling it across the tank. We have a truce right now. I don't mess with her anemones and she doesn't attack me as often. She used it sense when my hand was in the water (wish I had lateral lines :D ) and search me out for a bruising. She's gotten better. I introduced a small GSM and it took a few weeks, but they seem happy together now. If not for the degree in interior design, she wouldn;t be o bad. Nothing can be near her anemones, and they move from time to time (if I change the rock layout, etc.). She's still one of my favorites.

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a cool mix that I am tring to get to pair up.The orange is a A. ocellaris No Stripe and the other is a A. ocellaris Black Misbar from ORA.I had both pairs mated up but the females both died for unknown causes a year ago.I was planing on ordering a new mate for both but never did.I put them togather about 3 weeks ago and they are still not sure who is going to be the female. They have been fighting alot, my guess is that the black one will win. I think this mix will have some killer babies.

aug06124.jpg

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
have you ever tried to raise clown fish babies? its pretty difficult as you have to raise rotifers and fresh phyto daily.

no not yet I have read alot on it . I have a local member of our club that raises them and hope be getting help from her when the time comes.

Back