I have a few questions...

sotsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I went to a lfs and saw one of the cutest fish ever, the cubicus boxfish. I am fully aware that they can grow up to around 10” in captivity, but this info is different depending on who you talk to. Also I know that they are recommended for experienced aquarists only due to the toxic substance they release when stressed or when they die. However, I was wondering how long they stay small. The one I saw was a little under an inch long. How long would it stay that small and would it be able to be kept in a tank less than 100 gallons. The only reason I say this is because 100 gallons is recommended for their max size, but could it be raised in a smaller one? Let me know, thanks everyone:)

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add it to a smaller tank and grow it out but it will eventually need to be moved also I agree with above on passing on it, I to looked at one in my Lfs thought how cute but came to my senses lol

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my opinion on putting fish in smaller tanks to grow out. You're racing against time. You don't know what's going to happen in the future. Something might come up where you can't afford that new tank. Now you're stuck with a fish you can't keep and have to find a home for it. Now, if you had a tank big enough already set up, but wanted to grow it out in the smaller more peaceful tank... then that would be totally fine. Don't put yourself or the fish in a bad place by not being set up for it's adult size from the moment you purchase it.

Boxfish are also notorious for being picky eaters and starve in captivity a lot. I'd wait until you have some more experience. I'm not trying to put you down. I just don't want you to go thru not being able to properly care for a difficult fish.

If you think you can handle getting them to eat(live food at first), and REALLY have to have a boxfish look up the reticulate boxfish Ostracion solorensis. Kinda rare in the hobby but a cool looking fish. The males get about 5" and the female around 3". I'd think a standard 75g would be plenty of tank for one. Males are blue with black markings and the felmales are brown with similar marking.

OP
OP
sotsreef

sotsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info, think I am going to start out with a small tank and some clowns. I think that will suit me better:) boxfish may be cute but not worth the hassle and wouldn’t want to put myself or the fish in a bad situation.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like nano tanks and there are a TON of really cool fish you can fit in 30 gallons of water. My main display is a 35g that's going to be packed full of expert coral. You don't have to keep a big tank to have fun, even as little more experienced reefer. :cool:

Go to LiveAquaria.com and check out the salt water beginner and the nano fish categories. You can pick up fish from your LFS or even get them to special order in fish for you if you want to see them before you buy. Ocelaris or percula clowns are always a good choice for beginners and they come in a ton of cool colors. Most of your gobies are beginner friendly and bangai cardinal fish are great beginner fish that stay fairly small too.;)

OP
OP
sotsreef

sotsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like nano tanks and there are a TON of really cool fish you can fit in 30 gallons of water. My main display is a 35g that's going to be packed full of expert coral. You don't have to keep a big tank to have fun, even as little more experienced reefer. :cool:

Go to LiveAquaria.com and check out the salt water beginner and the nano fish categories. You can pick up fish from your LFS or even get them to special order in fish for you if you want to see them before you buy. Ocelaris or percula clowns are always a good choice for beginners and they come in a ton of cool colors. Most of your gobies are beginner friendly and bangai cardinal fish are great beginner fish that stay fairly small too.;)
Thanks for the tips! I will definelty look into getting a nice beginner nano tank

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back