I have a problem... (Aquarium Anonymous) / What do you have powered through your controller?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hello, my name is Jesse... I have a problem. ;)

So, I'm asking you what you have powered via your controller. (Apex Energy Bar, EB832, etc.)

When I got my Apex Pro, I thought I would never fill the energy bar, nor did I think that I would want to use it for most of my equipment...

But the logging and tracking of usage/cost / etc., has the nerd in me excited and wanting to have everything connected to the Power Bar, even if I would NEVER control it via the Apex.

So my question is, how many outlets does an average tank use?

I'm at 11 and still need a few more.

WTB: Energy Bar EB832 if someone has one. ;)

1709427214073.png

1709427378539.png

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through my controller, all 8 outlets on the 832 are used plus a full standard 6 outlet power strip, plus 4 more on another power strip. And that’s just my 65 lol

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the Apex controller but I think I counted 62 outputs that have output ports assigned to them on the controller system I use. They are not all AC outputs though. There are several 12 and 24 volt outputs.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only use 3... heater, skimmer, and return pump. Although the Vortechs are controlled by the apex via the WXM, they are plugged directly into the wall. same with my lights, just plugged into the wall. i have an older apex though so it doesn't do the cost calculations, so for me all it does is control temp and monitor pH, and then shut off pumps for feeding.

If were counting actual outlets with things plugged into it for the tank, i think its 13 total plugs... 5 lights, 4 powerheads, skimmer, heater, ATO pump, and Return pump. tank is 210 Display and 65 sump

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder you're a "Controller Advisor"!!! Good grief! Next time my non-tank friends comment on my setup, I'm going to reference you. ;)
Here are some screenshots of all the outputs setup on my controller. It took 4 screenshots to get them all. It scrolls up and down on the app. On the last screenshot only the last two rows of outputs were not on the previous page. A few of the outputs are from me helping someone with how to setup a output to do something specific and do not control anything on my system. There are a quite a few that do not directly control an output port but are used for logic on other outputs. An example of that is RODI timer and RODI On outputs. I have 5 solenoids on my RODI. One is on the input and 2 are on the output that control the refill of my DI reservoir and my mix tank. There is 2 for flushing. The first of the to outputs I mentioned RODI Timer comes on every 4 hours for 15 minutes it is used to turn on the input solenoid but indirectly through the second output. The second output has three inputs which are actually outputs but are used as inputs on that output. If either the DI refill output or the Mix Refill output or the RODI timer output come on then the RODI output will come on. It turns on a relay where it's contacts are the two inputs on another output that actually turns on the input solenoid along with doing the flush sequence. It would also turn on a booster pump if I had one. So that output is actually Three outputs in one. The controller will automatically refill the mix tank or DI reservoir when they go low. The RODI timer turns on the input to replenish water in a RO bladder tank which is used by the ice maker in the refrigerator. If I counted right there are 138 outputs setup total. If the trim around the output tile is grey the output is currently off if it is another color other than red or orange it is in the on state. The two in the bottom row that have orange trim are inactive in the current mode. Those 2 are only active in low power mode. Those in the bottom row are outputs I had setup to test a setup someone was asking about. So those do not actually control anything on a tank.

IMG_0619.png

IMG_0620.png

IMG_0621.png

IMG_0622.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back