I have a problem.....help me fix it

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my problem: I can't get anything to grow in my tank. every parameter I can check ie: nitrites,nitrates,ammonia,phosphates,mag,cal,ph,alk is all with in normal range. salinity is 1.025 temp: 78.3 no lights on usually gets to about 80.1 with the halides on.

now with all that said things are not dieing just not growing.
example: I have had a small kenya tree for over a year one of the first thing I acquired it has not grown at all still the same size. I read kenya tree grows like a weed in tanks. zoas will not spread Have had a 4 polyp frag for 6-8 months not grown a single polyp but all 4 open up every day with good color

any ides on where to start besides going fish only...lol I know it's gotta be something small that I am not doing......pls help

mike

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite possible there is not enough nutrients in the tank. Many soft corals can sustain their health but not grow due to lack of nutrients. How many fish do you have and what size tank. What kind of filter do you have?

Just a thought

Matt

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is a 90rr with a 30g PM sump and I am running a a euro reef cs8-1 that is all for the filtration except an estamated 125-150 lbs of LR. no filter socks or fuge,sponges,carbon nothing

fish consist of a yellow tang,regal tang,2 clowns, green chromis,LM blenny

also a 3 inch sand bed

Last edited:

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. good question. personally some things i have i see good growth and others are slower. i suppose if nothing is growing then i would also think maybe nutrients. kinda hard to say. i use rods food to feed my corals and also use reef nutrition phyto feast.
i also use 4 drops a week of iodine (lugols) to my sump. and i also use 5ml of a vitamin complex to the tank once a week.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe nutrients? I know i have a lot in my tank as i run skimmerless and i target feed a lot of my corals.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well since everyone is thinking nutrients do you think it would be a good Idea to just down the skimmer for a week or so. or a suggestion on how long. I feed my tank phytofeast and all 3 ocean nutrition formula 1&2 and prime reef flakes. also mysis shrimp and cyclopeez all in rotation. Maybe I am over skimming the system the cs8 is rated for 150-400g systems and then I mesh modded it to work even better.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike - As stated before, nutrients might be an issue. Try using Kent Ensential Elements. I know that many people dont agree with additives but I have used it for years and would not go without it. I only add it once per week. This is the only additive I use.
Also, your metal halides are on for only 6 hours per day. I would recommend that the actinics come on for an hour then have the metal halides on for 9-10 hours and then the actinics for an hour.
I use 20K lighting with no actinics and keep my lights on for 12 hours a day. As you already know, the ocean gets atleast 12 hours of light per day.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike - As stated before, nutrients might be an issue. Try using Kent Ensential Elements. I know that many people dont agree with additives but I have used it for years and would not go without it. I only add it once per week. This is the only additive I use.
Also, your metal halides are on for only 6 hours per day. I would recommend that the actinics come on for an hour then have the metal halides on for 9-10 hours and then the actinics for an hour.
I use 20K lighting with no actinics and keep my lights on for 12 hours a day. As you already know, the ocean gets atleast 12 hours of light per day.

thanks reefer...do you think I should turn off the skimmer for awhile maybe a week or so maybe more? I have tried everything else so I will give the kent elements a try. and prolong the halides.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks reefer...do you think I should turn off the skimmer for awhile maybe a week or so maybe more? I have tried everything else so I will give the kent elements a try. and prolong the halides.

I would shut off the skimmer for a while and add the Essential Elements. With as much rock as you have you might even want to turn off the skimmer for a week, turn it on for a couple of days and turn it off for a week.... Between building up the nutrients and prolonging the light cycle you should see results. Of course it takes a while but as you know, be patient.
Of course this is my opinion and what I do.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh didnt pay attention to your light cycle. i would def. increase your lighting as reefer recommended. i have t5's and do 10 hours all lights. and an hour before and after of just actinics. its possible that they arent getting enough amount of time of light for optimal growth.
personally i run my skimmer 24 hrs a day.

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are a big factor for sure. See how they respond after that. If you still cant keep "hardy" corals, then I would say theres something water-quality related going on.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sps in this tank good color good polyp extention just no growth.

I also happen to have a bottle of RED SEA trace elements do you think this will do till I can get to the lfs for the kents?

Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, as everyone stated-increasing the lights will make a huge difference. You should notice a faster response on the SPS. The best way to see if the frags start to grow due to your increased lighting period is to watch for the SPS to encrust on what its mounted to.
Sure, Red Sea trace elements should do the same job as Kent.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys for all the help...I have increased the light schedule...taken out the carbon bag turned off skimmer and dosed according to the red sea directions. I will take some pics and and more pics in a week to see if i can tell any difference. I should see a color change or something in the tank...I will keep you posted.

again thanks for all the help

Back