I have the new hanging hybrid light mount!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I finally had time to start transitioning between tanks and hang my light on the new mount.

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

The good:
- Well made
- It looks really nice. I really like how clean the mount is compared to the hanging bars I used on my last tank.
- Adjusting height is relatively easy. Adjusting front to back level also isn't too bad.

Room for improvement:
- If you spread the lights to 24" with the optional brackets then try to hang the fixture the full 3" from the wall, the hanging cables aren't long enough. I can only manage 2.5" from the wall.
- The instructions say to insert the hanging screws into the fixture once the fixture is sitting on some supports (I used wood) above the tank. This doesn't really work though because the end plates need to come off to slide the screws into the tracks. I had to take the light back off and take an end bracket off to get the screws in.
- I think the nuts/screws were missing from my box that hold the back of the light to the bracket. I just used a screw from the old hanging cable and bought two 5mm cap nuts from Menards. No big deal.
- I think those metal things at the top back of the hanging wires turn to adjust the cable (for leveling). The instructions are silent on this however.

My mistakes:
- I used two toggle bolts on the left side where I couldn't screw into a stud. The top of those bolts is rounded and the bracket won't slide past it. No big deal though since I'd never mount the light lower then the center screw.

Don't mind what's in the tank. I'm in the middle of moving everything over.

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask a favor. How long is the wire? I just set mine up in the office and I had extra with the 3.75" off the wall. I would like to check stock to see what is going on.

Do you think we should add the cutout circle opening into the suspension channel of the original Hybrids to allow the T screws to be attachment without removing the end plates?

I will work on the instructions.

Sorry about the two T screws and nuts missing. Should have looked like the nuts used on the wall mount.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 3.5" from the wall on one side and 3.25" inches on the other. What I did was pull the fixture out from the wall until it was level. I tried to use as much of the wire as I could to the point I could only fit one of the crimp fasteners after the screw tightening thing. I must be a little off from side to side on either level or how much I left on the end of the wire.

My wires are 23.5" long, not including the metal screw fitting on the end. Remember again I widened my fixture to 24", so need longer wire as a result.

The cutout would be a nice feature as long as it's in a spot where the fastener wouldn't accidentally slip out of the channel.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to measure the distance when I get home. My tank sits about 2" from the wall because of the ledge on the top of the wood on the bottom of the wall.

I would think the majority of tanks are even closer to the wall than mine. If this tank was sitting farther from the wall it would look pretty dumb.
Anyone using an external, coast to cost, or shadow overflow will be much farther than 2" from the wall.

My PVC itself is 1.5 inch.

Internal overflow boxes are the only one's that can get this close.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I'm 3.5" from the wall on one side and 3.25" inches on the other. What I did was pull the fixture out from the wall until it was level. I tried to use as much of the wire as I could to the point I could only fit one of the crimp fasteners after the screw tightening thing. I must be a little off from side to side on either level or how much I left on the end of the wire.

My wires are 23.5" long, not including the metal screw fitting on the end. Remember again I widened my fixture to 24", so need longer wire as a result.

The cutout would be a nice feature as long as it's in a spot where the fastener wouldn't accidentally slip out of the channel.

Thank you. This helps a lot.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask a favor. How long is the wire? I just set mine up in the office and I had extra with the 3.75" off the wall. I would like to check stock to see what is going on.

Do you think we should add the cutout circle opening into the suspension channel of the original Hybrids to allow the T screws to be attachment without removing the end plates?

I will work on the instructions.

Sorry about the two T screws and nuts missing. Should have looked like the nuts used on the wall mount.

Do you think there's a chance and new bracket to extend out to 5" in the future or is this max you can do?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Do you think there's a chance and new bracket to extend out to 5" in the future or is this max you can do?

We are going to look into it. I'm hoping it could be an additional part that can attach to the existing mount. This way it will be removeable for the customer that do not need it that long and have it extend into the LED housing area.

That or we would need two versions.

Let me try and see what we can figure out.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far does the bracket has to be from each other? I found studs on my wall that is only 18 in apart. I plan either a 48” or 36” fixture.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toggles can work as long as they are not used where you are moving the supported piece up and down a lot. They will tear into the back of the dry wall and dig a larger hole this weaken there hold.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
How far does the bracket has to be from each other? I found studs on my wall that is only 18 in apart. I plan either a 48” or 36” fixture.

18" with the 36" would be fine. 18" with the 48" not sure I would do that. If you go with the 48" could you mount at 36" spacing?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
If in the studs I do not see it going anywhere, pretty rock solid when attached like that. Just like the wider width.

Looks good on the setup!!!

Plus, I see you angled the wires out from the mount, that will help too.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I had to angle it since it sags and it keeps sliding no matter how tight i try to pull it. Thanks for coming up with this design. Of all the mounting options it was the only option with wifes approval on it

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that piece - circled. To compensate for the sag, i had to slide it outward just like in my previous post. maybe it's the cable stretching?

1564419635218.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks very promising with a clean custom look

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
It's that piece - circled. To compensate for the sag, i had to slide it outward just like in my previous post. maybe it's the cable stretching?

1564419635218.png

The two screws that are tightened to create the loop should stay in place. Is the loop getting smaller or staying the same size?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back