I keep forgetting about this site. Check out my tank.

likwidglostix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always checking in on the other site and I don't know why, those guys are all the way in richmond. My gf's parents just moved to orange co and I was there today. I'll be making a whole lot more trips thru c-ville as a result and I figured I should get to know this group.
My name is Mike and my first tank was a BC14 purchased 11/08. (for sale $100 with stand, have cover but not attached due to common BC fan and lighting problems) About a year later I got a sweet deal on a 55 corner with stand, canopy, light, sump, return pump, ato, ro unit, and some lr/ls for $400. My current apt doesn't have any place to keep the ro unit hooked up (kitchen faucet at 24gpd makes this impractical) so my wc policy is to live dangerously. We're currently investigating other apts as this one is too small for two people. W/D hookups are going to be a minimum req so I can use Andy's (spspirate for those in the know) idea and split off the cold line to make a permanent water station and hopefully with regular wc's everything should take off. Everything seems to be pretty happy, but growth is minimal save for my duncans, mushrooms, and blue zoas. I've got some green palys that are spreading slowly. I hope to use the upcoming move as a chance to rescape the tank. If anyone has experience with a tank move, or would like to help, they would be reimbursed with the requisite pizza and beer pay scale for moving help! The plan is to have both places for one month (give or take) and do the tank move in one day without having to worry about moving all our stuff at the same time. I'm looking for ideas, links, designs, and anything else that will help me scape the tank. I love the corner unit as it's pretty rare and always a conversation piece but as you will see below, makes for some pretty challenging aquascaping. Sorry for my rambling, and I hope you enjoy the feature presentation.

Latest FTS
056.jpg

Left side close up
058.jpg

Middle close up
059.jpg

Right side close up (close up pics taken one after the other, I don't know why this one is so blue)
057.jpg

Yellow tang, (shhh, don't tell anyone) Red Mandarin, and Flametail blennie (my first fish is still alive, that's something right?)
039.jpg

This is the link to a pic of my newest fish, a leopard wrasse picked out by my GF. I use my phone to take most of my pics and because it's so much easier to upload to facebook with it as I have the droid app. The acan is from surfn and almost didn't make it. The blue and red ones in the middle and left shots took off almost instantly. The green eyed guy has two heads, but the other one is pea sized and barely visible on the left side of the frag.
Mike Johnstone's Photos | Facebook

Also in the tank are three new frags from Atlantis.
Mike Johnstone's Photos | Facebook

I'm really into higher invertebrate life, and this is one of my favorites. I love watching my porcelain crab and his filter feeding.
063.jpg

My camera is actually a decent 10MP with a DSLR style to it. It's better than P&S, but far below pro level. I just don't know how to get good quality tank pics from it.

Tank details:
54 gal corner tank with dual wall overflow (to take water from top and bottom, tough to describe)
20(?) gal sump made from basic glass aquarium with acrylic partitions
40-60 lbs LR/LRR
30-40lbs LS (90% of it is in front of the rocks which is why it looks like more)
2-Koralia 2's
175w 14,000K MH bulb on GE ballast (previous owner worked for GE, hence the transfer that got me the sweet deal on the tank)
Coralife ATO
Seaclone 100 skimmer running on in sump configuration

Inhabitants:
Yellow Tang
Ocellaris Clown
2-green Chromis (had 4)
Flametail Blennie (first fish 11/08-3 weeks cycled)
Wheeler's Shrimp Goby
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (female)
Red Mandarin (male)
Skunk cleaner Shrimp
2-Peppermint shrimp
Tiger Pistol Shrimp (paired with Goby)
Bumblebee Shrimp
Porcelain Crab
2-Emerald Mithrax crabs
Blue Leg Hermit (only one that hasn't picked at corals, there are a few that have been banished to the fuge chamber)
Astreas
Ceriths
Nassarius (6 or so, I've seen at least one baby)
Fighting Conch
Asterinas galore
Corals as seen in pics (I like larger polyped corals but will go for a smaller polyped branching or plating if one grabs me, will be on the hunt for oregon tort frags after the move)

Thanks for looking!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back