I need alternatives to NOPOX dosing, please....

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through these posts and I'm now pondering hooking up the doser for NOPOX but also starting up an Algae Reactor. Hopefully finding balance between the two methods. Maybe I can dose smaller amounts of NOPOX, or vinegar, if the algae reactor takes up some of the nutrients. It does seem like a more natural method of export.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are liking bacteria with carbon source to reduce nitrate, it has to be in reactor so that you can monitor the inlet and outlet nitrate level. I have been using this method for over a year and so far this is the best result i am getting. Tuning your nitrate level you want to keep is easy. My nitrate reactor and FTS picture for reference...

Sight_2017_08_21_200225_211.jpg

WPDrawing2017-23-03_07_23_16.jpg

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up "Vibrant".. an amazing product in my opinion... been using it for 6 months or so. Does a great job in assisting with the Nitrates and Phosphates. I am also running a pellet reactor and Phosban.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had very high nitrates and went with Vinager dosing. Very easy with a BRS pump and cheap. Worked like a charm, I'm now on half dose and nitrates stay undetectable.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had very high nitrates and went with Vinager dosing. Very easy with a BRS pump and cheap. Worked like a charm, I'm now on half dose and nitrates stay undetectable.

I'm very curious about using vinegar instead of NOPOX. I have another large bottle of NOPOX that I'll get onto a BRS 1.1ml doser this weekend. The type of vinegar doesn't matter, right? Just food grade... I wonder if I should do some sort of transition period over to vinegar from NOPOX if I wanted to go this route?

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just plain white vinegar. Don't have experience with NOPOX. I was not carbon dosing at all when I went into vinegar. There is a dosing chart all over the posts where you start very low and increase every few days until your nitrates reduce. It took around 65 mls of vinegar and about 7 weeks to get nitrates to go from 50 to 1-2.

Back