I need help defragging Coral

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there a lot of videos about how to frag your corals, I as yet haven't seen any on how to remove your coral from the frag plug after you buy It. I purchased 3 new ORA Corals today that are attached to large plastic frag plugs that wont fit anywhere! Any help is appreciated Thanx in advance

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I usually use my frag saw and cut just below where the coral encrust the frag plug. Lately I have been leaving part of the coral on the plug for grow out purpose in my frag tank. Another option I have also seen is people use a razor blade to slice between the coral and plug before it encrust down the side of the plug and works most of the time. Good luck!

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it on the plug and just dremmel off the stem. You can still do it with the ora plug. Just make sure to use a towel to hold the plug as I missed a bit, sliced my finger/nail and dropped the strawberry shortcake frag into the bushes. Took me 10 minutes to find it but it's doing great back in the tank!
I'd be worried about snapping the frag by taking it off the plug entirely.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pliers or a vice and you can usually get the coral to op out pretty smoothly from the ORA plugs.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never leave my corals on the plugs that they came on even if it's encrusted for fear of eggs at the base of coral or on the plug itself. I take my bone cutters and cut the coral low and scrap the rest and re glue it onto another plug

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an Ora stylophora and it is encrusted over the base of the plug. Won't be able to remove it from the disc, but may can take the stem off.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 79 75.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back