I need zoa help, ive got pics too.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having an issue with some zoas in my tank. My parameters are all in check with the exception of my alk being on the high side, just a bit over 12. Im going to take my reactor offline for the night and wait until I get the alk to 10, then run it again with less effluent. I dont think the alk was the cause of the problems, its not the first time Ive lost zoas from this. Anyways, here are some pics that show what Im dealing with. On hand I have revive, furan and Seachem Reef dip (basically iodine). If these were your zoas how would you treat and what would you look to change so the issue doesnt come back? I also have 30g of water mixing now (reef crystals) which will give me about 15% water change.

salt 1.025
calc 440
mag 1280
ph 8-8.15

zoahelp008.jpg

zoahelp009.jpg

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like some kind of algea. try to just scrape off with fingernail. if it comes back just do it again.

MentalDragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you already dip them in revive? I always use revive before putting corals into my tank. Most of the zoas that I dip look like that after the dip and stay closed for about 5 - 7 days. Some even shed... but after that period is over, they open fully.

OP
OP
aerius007

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave them a furan dip last night. I had new water made up, put some in a container with the furan and floated the container to adjust the temp. I let them sit for 20 minutes then rinsed and put them in a high flow area of the tank. On coralpedia it says to use fresh saltwater but I dont know if the difference in some levels would shock the zoas a bit so I might just use tank water in the future. I will look tonight and probably do the treatment again.

Has anybody else had success getting rid of this algae and what method did you use? I would like to save these.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide and tank water @ 10%. I'll dip them for 5-10 minutes.

glee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also lightly turkey baste it to remove algae and dead polyps. Gl

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the begining of a bacterial infection, in a seperate tub, use a tooth brush lightly scrub removing what dead flesh and brown film you can, then use an exacto blade to remove the really bad polyps (raisins), they will not come back. Daily furan 2 dips and restore or revive can help, but my experiance has been more possitive with lugols solution.

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the begining of a bacterial infection, in a seperate tub, use a tooth brush lightly scrub removing what dead flesh and brown film you can, then use an exacto blade to remove the really bad polyps (raisins), they will not come back. Daily furan 2 dips and restore or revive can help, but my experiance has been more possitive with lugols solution.

+1.... get rid of the bad ones... toothbrush the brown off, maybe even frag off 1-2 of the really clean heads, you might lose that one. first one, have you changed its position in the tank? mine look like that with a change of light received.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back