I saw an orange back fairy wrasse in person for the first time.

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And wow. Pictures can't do it justice. That makes me wonder what other fish and corals that are stunners when you see them in real life. Anyone else been surprised when you saw a certain fish in person for the first time? What fish was it that surprised you? I know this is the fish forum, but if you think of a coral, I don't mind if you post it too.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much surprised but I'm always impressed when I see a nice healthy moorish idol.

I was impressed by a terminal male Richmond wrasse. That guy was stunning.

On the flip side I've been really unimpressed by most black and gem tangs I've seen (little blacks are ok), can't see the appeal myself and the most hideous fish I've seen was a tricolour tang.

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And wow. Pictures can't do it justice. That makes me wonder what other fish and corals that are stunners when you see them in real life. Anyone else been surprised when you saw a certain fish in person for the first time? What fish was it that surprised you? I know this is the fish forum, but if you think of a coral, I don't mind if you post it too.
I totally know what you mean. I was kicking around what wrasse I would buy this week. I made it to my LFS today and they had one. My goodness are they beautiful. I couldn't help myself despite the price, this wrasse has a new home. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An adult male is a gorgeous specimen, I agree!

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was $80 plus tax. This wasn't the greatest pic but you get the idea

IMG_7140.JPG

jdemarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here have any long term success with this fish. It's my favorite fish and I haven't been able to keep long term. Very peaceful and beautiful fish but wondering about long term success rate..

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for quite a few months (I know, not really "long-term") and it was doing well, until I combined the population of his tank (65 gallon) with the population of my QT (40-B) in a 75 ... and the striped parrotfish flat out _assaulted_ the orange-back. I think it ripped every scale off that wrasse, even after being separated by eggcrate.

I've got a new one in QT, and that particular parrotfish has been re-homed.

~Bruce

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back