OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect a lfs to carry it, it’s a pretty common med.
Brook is known to infect clowns first, so it’s not surprising that they are the only ones showing it (for now).
I found some locally. Going to pick it up after work. Also going to petco to get a tank. Is 20 gallons big enough for a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s doable (just give plenty of pvc hiding spots). Keep an eye on the clowns (they can be real jerks) and water quality.
How often would you think I'd need to change the water? Should I put the bag of ceramic media from my DT's filter in the QT's filter?

It seems like it would help with ammonia but wouldn't be as sterile

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing wrong with moving media from the dt to qt - any disease issue will be treated for in qt. I wouldn’t move the media back though.
It’s hard to give an exact measurement for how often to do water changes - monitoring ammonia and nitrate will do a better job of telling you that. I try to go for every 1-2 week water changes on my qt tanks. Given the heavy stock I’d opt for the more frequent changes. I’ve made the mistake of not keeping up with qt water in the past and lost fish.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing wrong with moving media from the dt to qt - any disease issue will be treated for in qt. I wouldn’t move the media back though.
It’s hard to give an exact measurement for how often to do water changes - monitoring ammonia and nitrate will do a better job of telling you that. I try to go for every 1-2 week water changes on my qt tanks. Given the heavy stock I’d opt for the more frequent changes. I’ve made the mistake of not keeping up with qt water in the past and lost fish.
I knoe ill have to test but I just didn't know if without any live rock to house bacteria if I'd be looking at something like 100% water change every 2 days or something.

How big of a water change were you talking about that you've done? Would 25%, once per week, be in the realm of realistic?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on, I’d look to do 50% every 3 days or so (mostly out of safety). Once it’s more or less established you can slow down.
I would just move as much media as possible (as long as it’s not rock and sand) to help cycle.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ruby reef rally pro. The guy at the LFS said I could just do it in my display. He's wrong, right? I need a QT?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby reef can be used in a display, but it is generally still advised to use it in qt to get it to the proper dose (which would be potentially fatal to inverts).

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby reef can be used in a display, but it is generally still advised to use it in qt to get it to the proper dose (which would be potentially fatal to inverts).
Do I need to freshwater dip the fish or do they go straight in to the QT?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy any ORA clowns for at least 6 to 12 as they've had a nasty outbreak that started 6 months ago.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the qt tank set up and after way too long, I managed to catch the 2 clownfish and get them in the qt. No way am I going to be able to catch the firefish or cardinals. I would think a bottle trap would work for the firefish. Is there a trap that will work for a cardinalfish?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh for me it’s always been a matter of timing right with the net - you may have to remove rocks. I don’t have any experience with traps so I can’t really say which will work best.
@vetteguy53081 probably will have better suggestions for a trap.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy any ORA clowns for at least 6 to 12 as they've had a nasty outbreak that started 6 months ago.

Are you sure that it is at the ORA facility itself? I've seen some major issues with clowns that went through certain wholesalers, and came out infected, but I had not heard of any other issues for fish direct from them.

Jay

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much Reef rally pro should I be using? The instructions say

Add 1 ounce (30 ml) of Rally™ PRO per 20 gallons (76 liters) of total water volume

But it also says that's reef safe. Should I do more than that because it's a QT tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much Reef rally pro should I be using? The instructions say

Add 1 ounce (30 ml) of Rally™ PRO per 20 gallons (76 liters) of total water volume

But it also says that's reef safe. Should I do more than that because it's a QT tank?

You should contact the company and ask them. The only time I ever go against label directions is with medications that I have a solid technical reference indicating that it can be used in a different way.

Jay

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To recap, all my fish died except 2 clownfish. I moved the clowns to a qt tank and treated with ruby rally. They are still in there, 6 months later

Around the same time, my tank had an outbreak of briopsys. I used chemicals to kill that and my tank went to hell after. I think its finally back in shape and ive been thinking of putting the clownfish back in. From here on out, i want to quarantine everything. Should i treat the clownfish with copper (or anything else) before putting them back? I dont know what the ruby rally kills or doesnt kill. Theyve been in the QT tank for over 6 months, another month or two wont hurt. I actually kind of like the QT tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To recap, all my fish died except 2 clownfish. I moved the clowns to a qt tank and treated with ruby rally. They are still in there, 6 months later

Around the same time, my tank had an outbreak of briopsys. I used chemicals to kill that and my tank went to hell after. I think its finally back in shape and ive been thinking of putting the clownfish back in. From here on out, i want to quarantine everything. Should i treat the clownfish with copper (or anything else) before putting them back? I dont know what the ruby rally kills or doesnt kill. Theyve been in the QT tank for over 6 months, another month or two wont hurt. I actually kind of like the QT tank
I assume that now they are just in 'saltwater' - with no medications? If your clowns have not been treated with copper/prazipro per protocol - I would strongly consider it before adding them to your display tank.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that now they are just in 'saltwater' - with no medications? If your clowns have not been treated with copper/prazipro per protocol - I would strongly consider it before adding them to your display tank.
Yes. They are just in saltwater at 1.019. The only thing theyve been treated with is the ruby rally pro.

I just ordered some copper

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back