I think we’ve got flukes… confirmation?

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Stars and Stripes puffer has been acting ill but no visual signs of white spots, excess mucus, etc. just cloudy eyes and lethargic, a bit of flashing on her sides near gills. I figured maybe flukes. I did a FW dip (absolutely terrifying for me- she was a champ though). After the FW dip I found these…. I believe they are flukes…. Can anyone confirm since this my 1st time dealing with them…?

IMG_2743.jpeg IMG_2742.jpeg IMG_2741.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Stars and Stripes puffer has been acting ill but no visual signs of white spots, excess mucus, etc. just cloudy eyes and lethargic, a bit of flashing on her sides near gills. I figured maybe flukes. I did a FW dip (absolutely terrifying for me- she was a champ though). After the FW dip I found these…. I believe they are flukes…. Can anyone confirm since this my 1st time dealing with them…?

IMG_2743.jpeg IMG_2742.jpeg IMG_2741.jpeg
Those don’t look like flukes. The pointy end just doesn’t match up. How many did you see? Any sense of how large these are?

Only one genus of fluke is easily seen in dips, the others require a microscope to see (or at least a magnifying glass).

Jay

OP
OP
witchywoman725

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don’t look like flukes. The pointy end just doesn’t match up. How many did you see? Any sense of how large these are?

Only one genus of fluke is easily seen in dips, the others require a microscope to see (or at least a magnifying glass).

Jay
I found 2 of those in the bottom of the bucket. they are very tiny, maybe an 1/8th of an inch at most....definitely smaller than the width of my fingernail (which is roughly 1/4").

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found 2 of those in the bottom of the bucket. they are very tiny, maybe an 1/8th of an inch at most....definitely smaller than the width of my fingernail (which is roughly 1/4").
looks like a worm or even a lymphocystis cell ( see pic of one under a microscope)

1692835391600.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the could be skin spicules from the puffer?

Edit: sorry, not spicule, they are called spinules. A picture is here:

Jay

OP
OP
witchywoman725

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back