I Want To Buy A 180 Gallon

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 55, as I didn't know how much I'd like the hobby. Turns out I love it. Absolutely love it. I want to upgrade to the biggest tank I can afford, and it's looking like it's in the 180 +/- 30 gallons range.

That being said, it's going to be a FOWLR setup, but what is a good brand to buy? Any special features I should get like drilled for a sump, overflows, that sort of thing.

Is there anything I might not be thinking of, logistics wise of having such a large system? It's going to be in my basement as the weight would probably buckle my floor overtime. Thanks.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like me 17 years ago, I made the same series of moves. Best advice I have for you is, do some serious planning. Map out the plumbing, filtration, lighting, everything. Just leave room for changing your mind about things, it happens.

Suggestions, put the new tank on one side of a wall where you can put the 55 on the other as a sump. That should let you get the noisiest things out of the display room. Get the tank drilled for the output and return from the sump.

I got mine from Glasscages, including the stand and canopy. I dont regret a thing about the purchase.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at the Red Sea XXL line, they have done a lot of upgrades to their tanks, better silicone, better braces on stands. I have the E-260 only because of room availability.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yeah! you sound....like us all want more & bigger . lol

my 2 cents for what ever there worth....I have been thinking of a FOLWR system myself

upgrading is expensive and time consuming. I would really REALLY thing about your end game here. what is it that you really want out of this system?
so you get it right the 1st time around....cheaper in the end.

now that said. 180 is a nice size but for a FLOWLR depending on the fish you want to keep its just a med. sized tank. no real big angles like the emp or larger tangs.
might want to see what are you must have fish.

here are some options: ( not knowing your budget it's kinda hard was is cheap of some is way over the top for others. )

1) glass cages. they had a bad rep here on the forums but @jeo glass cages is really working to turn that around. I am looking in to there 300

2) check out the prostar rimless they are new to the scene but pretty reasonable priced.

3) if you want to go crazy how about a DIY plywood tank I have thought of that myself. something in the 420 to 1000 gal range. sounds like you have a basement something to conciser. there are a few on the monster tank sub forms look at them, there epic!

4) also check out the local for sale listings some times you can score BIG!

5) planted aquariums has a nice 310 gall its on my short list.

I had the Rs 750XXl it was very nice. I ended up trading it for the 650P. cant go wrong with Red sea either. but its gonna cost ya, for the same price you could get a bigger tank.

good luck!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yeah! you sound....like us all want more & bigger . lol

my 2 cents for what ever there worth....I have been thinking of a FOLWR system myself

upgrading is expensive and time consuming. I would really REALLY thing about your end game here. what is it that you really want out of this system?
so you get it right the 1st time around....cheaper in the end.

now that said. 180 is a nice size but for a FLOWLR depending on the fish you want to keep its just a med. sized tank. no real big angles like the emp or larger tangs.
might want to see what are you must have fish.

here are some options: ( not knowing your budget it's kinda hard was is cheap of some is way over the top for others. )

1) glass cages. they had a bad rep here on the forums but @jeo glass cages is really working to turn that around. I am looking in to there 300

2) check out the prostar rimless they are new to the scene but pretty reasonable priced.

3) if you want to go crazy how about a DIY plywood tank I have thought of that myself. something in the 420 to 1000 gal range. sounds like you have a basement something to conciser. there are a few on the monster tank sub forms look at them, there epic!

4) also check out the local for sale listings some times you can score BIG!

5) planted aquariums has a nice 310 gall its on my short list.

I had the Rs 750XXl it was very nice. I ended up trading it for the 650P. cant go wrong with Red sea either. but its gonna cost ya, for the same price you could get a bigger tank.

good luck!
Thanks for the consideration @Devaji. We love building tanks. I also love talking tanks even if they decide to select a different builder. Why, my love for this hobby. Help each other grow and learn. Happy Day!

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do. I run smaller reefs & big fowlr's. You definitely want it drilled.

Personally I like planet aquariums & regular ole aqueon. I dont think the price increase is justifiable for sapphire glass & definitely dont like rimless at that size.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the imput, I'm up in rural Canada, so my options for aquariums are somewhat limited, but was hoping to spend about 2k, which about fits with what I have found price wise for 180s with overflows. Could repurpose my existing 55 into either a reef, or sump, as I'll likely have a large bioload.

As for a stock list, honestly a lot of the big, fancy, expensive fish don't really do it for me.
My wish list, and I doubt they'll all fit, but.
Marine Betta (already have)
Pair of Greyfaced Moray (Have one)
Pair of Cleaner Wrasse (have one)
Pair of Maroon Clowns
Pair of Flame Hawks (already have one)
Pair of Coral Beauties
Harem of Lyretail Anthias 4+
Pair of Bluethroat Triggers
Pair of Fuzzy Dwarf Lions
Porcupine Puffer
Harlequin Tuskfish

Yes, I have a thing for aggressive fish. :)

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some cool fish but I don't think it would be wise to put a trigger in a 180 let alone 2, not too sure about puffers as I don't know much about them but I would also think it would be too small for it same for eels (live aquaria says min tank size for the puffer is 180 and 125 for the triggers but I still don't think it would be a good idea with so many large fish). Otherwise I think you could get away with swapping those out for something else. Thats my gut feeling about those fish but I could be wrong.
I see it's been mentioned for you to take a look at the plywood tanks, you could make a tank much larger for the same price as buying one if you are good with your hands.
GL with your build, just do your research so you don't make a purchase you regret.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some cool fish but I don't think it would be wise to put a trigger in a 180 let alone 2, not too sure about puffers as I don't know much about them but I would also think it would be too small for it same for eels (live aquaria says min tank size for the puffer is 180 and 125 for the triggers but I still don't think it would be a good idea with so many large fish). Otherwise I think you could get away with swapping those out for something else. Thats my gut feeling about those fish but I could be wrong.
I see it's been mentioned for you to take a look at the plywood tanks, you could make a tank much larger for the same price as buying one if you are good with your hands.
GL with your build, just do your research so you don't make a purchase you regret.

Those are really the only ones I am on the fence about. Puffer is nice, but not necessary. I know a guy with a pair of admittedly smaller blue throats in a 55 and they get along swimmingly, even with the bite sized tank mates.

Took a look, a plywood tank could actually be a viable option, and much, much cheaper.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, realistically, a 210 isn't that much more than a 180...
It's just where to put the bloody thing.

You already said it’s going in the basement for weight reasons - might as well go all out !

Better yet - create the dream list of fish you want , and then work out how many gallons you need .

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some triggers can nip at the spiny fins of lion fish, but I don’t believe the blue throat is among them. I love the size of a standard 180 gallon tank 6’x2’x2’, the fish you listed wouldn’t have space issues. With that being said, what I love more is a standard 240 gallon 8’x2’x2’. That extra 2’ really gives you options with larger fish you haven’t listed.

One thing to consider is where to place the rock. If you keep the rock in the center (not touching glass on any side) you create a ton of swimming room. Also rock walls look hideous. I personally love pukani rock, great shapes in a very light weight form.

Nothing makes life less stressful then a drilled tank. A separate fish room is great, but not as necessary as having a drilled tank.

Also planning is key. Once you have a tank, I would leave it dry until I have everything sketched out, installed, and tested. Last thing you want to do is modify plumbing or run new electrical in a tank full of water. I would also complete any renovations to the room before the tank gets filled. Some people like to remove carpet and run tile below their aquarium. If the room needs to be painted, then would take care of that ahead of time so don’t have to worry about fumes.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go custom made and go for the biggest tank you can afford/accommodate and that will help stop you wanting to upgrade again, or help!

Ive got a Red Sea S650 and a new custom 530 usg system, the Red Sea tanks are very nice, but my custom is better and it cost significantly less than the S650 although it didn’t come with equipment

Also if you get a custom made one, you can design it exactly how you want it

And plan everything, I spent about 6 months considering and planning every single system, before final deciding to proceed

And enjoy doing it, I found planning very enjoyable

Oh the cost........... don’t underestimate

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup more great advise here.
I also love the 240 and feel it wold be a better option for you. of even better the 300 with is 30" wide :D

if you have not seen this how to DIY plywood tank vid worth a watch. aslo there are tons of ply. build on monster fish keepers most FW but you get ideas on the build process.

the truth is what ever way you go its going to be great. be just want to go go as big as you can so you dont have to upgrade in a year or two. it happens all the time..lol

have fun bud let us know what you decide :D

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the basement is unfinished and you have access to the breaker box, run another circuit dedicated to the tank system. Its something you can do yourself and doesnt cost much, and you wont have to worry about the load on the circuit and what might or might not trip it.

It is indeed mostly unfinished, and I intended to run a new circuit, my box has plenty of extra room. Electricity terrifies me ever since I zorted myself tinkering with high voltage (low amp) capacitors. Fortunately I know an electrician who will work for beer.

I was actually toying with the idea of cutting apart a partition wall and setting up the tank between the wall so it can be accessed and viewed from both sides.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided the path you will take yet? If you haven't checked it out already @AlexGhas an amazingly well thought out build with some alternative methods included its a good read, and he is an exceptionally helpful hobbyist.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it decided for me.
A fellow reefer a city over sold me his 265 gallon, 2 250w MH ballast, Vertex 250 Skimmer and assorted equipment for $600. Have yet to set it up though. Just got my 55 back in order, and am going away for a month in september. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back