I want to go with an SPS dominant tank...

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not talking acro type SPS at this time, my skill set and experience isn't quite there. Yet.

I did some reading and it appears that I will need to get my tank to an Ultra Low Nutrient status. More on that in a sec.

The plan, at least initially is to have your easy to care fore SPS corals, like digitata. I have a vision. Colors. Lots of color. Lots of branching out, different shapes and sizes. Did I say color?

My current levels are:

pH: 8.2-8.3
Temp: 77.8-78.5
Alk: 9.7
CA: 470 (mainly because there isn't anything using it at moment)
Mg: 1600 (same as calcium).
Nitrates: ~2ppm
Phosphates: 0 per Hanna 736 tester

I know there is PO4, because I have a nice Patch of algae on the back wall, a buffet for when I add a tang.

So, what exactly is a ULNS? Is it lower than what I have? How does one obtain ULNS? I have read zeovit is an option but a costly one at that, though I can get a reactor and starting supplements pretty cheap.

How does one get ULNS? (Again).

If I add in 8-10 fish, is it pointless to even try?

I am currently using reef crystals salt. If I want to get to low nutrient levels should I start using a salt closer to natural saltwater levels?

You guys have been doing this a heck of a lot longer than me, so I ask the "experts". Help me take my vision and make it a reality.

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are new to SPS then an ULN tank is not for you. There is no substitute for experience. Start with easier SPS as you mentioned and see how it goes over time.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't chase specific numbers. I have found that consistency in numbers are more important. When levels fluctuate too quickly, that when you get in trouble. Make sure you have enough light. Your parameters look good enough to keep SPS.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my equipment:

Aquamaxx EM200
Gyre 150 on 40% .5 second pulse.
Sicce 5.0 return (may or may not upgrade)
Reed breeders photon 48
No GFO or carbon.

Refugium with chaeto that I would love to break down and get rid of because that area just gets disgustingly dirty.

That's all I have.

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in my first post it's all about experience. Anyone can spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest equipment.

Successfully keeping SPS is all about experience

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO toss out the goal of an ULNS and don't be afraid to give SPS a try, what you will want IMO/E is something that will keep your KH rock solid consistent, personally I started reefing with a calcium reactor and love it more than the QT that I have a doser on, I feel you get more beneficial "elements" from media but that's another topic.

I've had Nitrate as high as 25 and PO4 at .20 and you would never know by looking at my tank/corals. Granted that was a fluke/accident and another story but I'm happy with PO4 .10 to .03 never lower and I won't freak if it's higher. Nitrate I'm fine with anything 1.0 and be below, my skimmer keeps PO4 at .03 and Nitrates are .05

IMO ULNS bad for more reasons than one but I'm not European either ;)

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green birds nest, orange birds nest,pink birds nest, birds of paradise, Stylophora, Montipora capricornis, encrusting Montipora, digitata

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why your chasing those numbers but your parameters seem fine as others stated. It's all about keeping alk ca mg stable. My po4 is mud and my no3 hovers around 5.

Some of the best colour monti is setosa, tubbs stellata, and mystic. Some other nice sps not mentioned are stylos, pink purple blue green rainbow... And styloceinellia, pavona, poccilopora, lepto. I'd consider all of that very easy.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested today both po4 and no3 were at zero. Done 1 water change in 4 weeks (15 gallons).

With the tests being what they are, I should work on lowering the Alk a little? Do I need to dose anything (that is when I get more corals) with 0 NO3 and PO4?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo easier to keep it stable at where it naturally wants to be in your tank. Once you get some corals using it up, then just maintain. Dosing through ato as needed can work for a long time.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I dose? I am pretty regimented about doing water changes weekly.

With low nutrients should I also look into a salt with lower parameters such as Red Sea blue bucket?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to alk once your corals start growing they can use it up fast. Regular water changes may also be enough to keep up. I'm not a big water change fan. I use red sea regular for several years and I like it. But that means about nothing. I wouldn't go changing your methods around. Try it out, see how it goes, adjust as needed.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the answers. More questions. I am almost out of reef crystals, and I may or may not keep using it. I use Salinity on my BioCube, just recently started using it after my local shop stopped carrying Red Sea coral pro.

If I would switch to the blue Red Sea (they do for the moment have that)...is it as simple as dosing kalkwasser? Or would I need to something else?

I know all tanks are different. If I could not do another water change, or one a month, I would be a happy camper.

If I am understanding, once I get a bunch of corals, test weekly, and attack with one thing first, such as kalk. If that doesn't keep up, maybe I have to add individual supplements and stop the kalk?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused on this.
Is this a new system? Do you already have fish in this? What about corals?

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system is going on 9 months running. 1 Orange digitata frag in the tank, 2 clowns, and a molly.

That's it :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Ok,
You can add some interesting fish in there to raise your N03 or start dosing No3 but with not much corals in there just feed the fish 5 or six times a day.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to see if there is a birdsnest at the store I go to. Typically look in the $10-$20 tanks for small corals.

Why do I want to add NO3?

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lotta good guys in here with tons of knowledge that can help ya out. I did want to add though, dont worry trying to get ULNS. I had the same idea when i first started and i had coral starve out and end up dying. The best thing i ever did was stop trying to chase No3 and P04 numbers and go with how my coral looked in my tank.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back