I want to hear about your experience about these fishes

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, so I am planing on stocking my 73g. Currently I have a 2” purple tang, small six line wrasse and a tiny goby.

I like the male Bartlett anthias which I am keeping one in my 120g with 3 female lyretail.

I want to keep 2-3 of the male Bartlett’s but I have heard bad experience about them.

Also, any successful story about keeping purple queen anthias? In a 2-3 group?

lastly, blueface tile goby. I think I posted before but is it aggressive and a deep sand bed a must?

C0683201-2BC1-4E48-9E74-197296F45E02.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have kept the Starcki’s Tilefish successfully but yeah I don’t think they’re an easy fish to get feeding. Dartfish OTOH are hardy.

Purple Queen Anthias are reportedly quite difficult to feed and keep as well.

Bartlett’s are among the easiest Anthias as far as I know, not sure how 2 males would work out but yeah I think you can put up to 3 in a 73.

Purple Tang will eventually need to be rehomed to a larger tank.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple queen anthias can be very difficult to feed. I had tried about ten different foods over a month and one by one they died on me. Leave those in the ocean imo
Agree they are very difficult to feed and sorry to hear about the losses. Was your experience that they didn't take any of the 10 foods, was it the frequency of feeding, or do you think something else? Thanks

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bartlett's will all eventually turn male and pick each other off. I started with 1 male and 7 females and they all changed to males over the course of a year, and the most dominant killed the others off.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree they are very difficult to feed and sorry to hear about the losses. Was your experience that they didn't take any of the 10 foods, was it the frequency of feeding, or do you think something else? Thanks
I tried frozen mysis, brine, lrs reef frenzy, fish frenzy, herbivore frenzy, couple flakes, pellets, tig pods, 5280 pods. I know they need frequent feedings and I did for the month I had them and nothing. They were not interested at all

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want anthias and want to avoid large common varieties like Bartlett , Lyretail , extremely difficult to keep like Tuka , Pascalus , Loris , Evansi .. you can look into a middle road like Randall’s or resplendents . They won’t be open swimmers and need much dimmer tank for them to feel comfortable but much easier to take care than the more difficult ones .
Color wise nice but the males develop beautiful colors !
Another variant is dispar - easy enough compared to Tuka varieties but not bully as Bartlett’s and similar .
This is my personal experience though .

I always suggest dispar or Randall’s to anyone who wants to avoid the aggressive large Anthias , a little challenging but not impossible like Tuka variants

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back