I want to make lightning.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I always have loved the idea of storm mode with LEDs and I have a retrofit from nano tuners with 30 Cree XR-Es on my biocube 29g. I run the LEDs with my RKE and have played around with storm mode to see that it does in fact dim the lights for a storm. The only thing it's missing is lightning! Now I know that aqua illumination modules do simulate lightning. I was ordering if it would be possible to build a little device with 3-5 LEDs and I guess individual drivers for each one (?) and then maybe use the proper connectors to hook it up to my rke to make lightning. Do any of you LED/electronic gurus know how to do this or if it's even possible? If so I bet a lot of people would like to do it.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the LED fixture is pretty easy. Not sure how hard it is to program the RKE to control them. Also, I've heard that the lightning tends to stress fish, so I've never been really interested in trying it out.

CJ

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about it stressing the fish. I will look into that though. It would make sense.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the LED fixture is pretty easy. Not sure how hard it is to program the RKE to control them. Also, I've heard that the lightning tends to stress fish, so I've never been really interested in trying it out.

CJ

1283643456976.gif

Exactly. When you go to the aquarium notice the signs that say "no flash photography". That's because fish lack iris's, not a pleasant experience.
I have to make a video of my office nano when I turn off the lights mid day both helfriches go straight to the top of the tank and start acting WEIRD. I am glad I have a net cover on that tank just in case. But that was the only time they got ***** like that.

-Rick

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back