IBC cleaning help please

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i finally got a 1000 litre IBC for my saltwater to save some $. Can anyone give me some tips on what to use to neutralize any residue left from what was in the tank. This is the product that was in it and a link to the msds for it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

http://www.smaltochimica.it/layout/upload/eng/telqneos600.pdf

IMG_1484802190.627470.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to find one that was used for food-grade material?
"12.1 Toxicity
Adopt good working practices, so that the product is not released into the environment. NEOS 600

Test: EC50 - Species: Daphnia - Duration h: 48 - mg/l: 200 "

There's another note about recovery during use. Whatever this stuff is, it sounds nasty.

I'd look elsewhere.

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that nasty, I did a little research and it's an organic binder for ceramics. While the company probably has a patent and disclosed information of what exactly is in it one of the stipulations for organic binder is that it is non toxic.

Can't really tell much more than that.

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probly source another one that had food grade stuff in it. I got this one for free so i was hoping i could recover it. It was cleaned by the guy i bought it off and looks spotless inside. It does say in the msds that the chemical is water soluble so i thought with enough cleaning and rinsing i could make use of it. I heard that u can use dishwashing liquid to clean and the bi carb soda to neutralize the soap, then finally white vinegar to remove anything residual.

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing the MSDS states it is water soluble so probably some soap and water then RO soak would do the trick. USE at your own risk as I personally would have gotten an unused tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it for something else....those things are handy! Get a clean/food-grade one for the aquarium. :)

Catch water off the roof in it for your lawn/flowers/bushes during the hot season.

Cut into two halves and use the halves for planters!

Google will show a ton more ideas.... :)

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to the guy i bought it of who works at a ceramic tile place. He said its a ceramic binder and is non toxic. All ceramic binders have to be non toxic by regulation. It also sais in the msds that its water soluble, no apparent environmental effects and no protective clothing, eyewear needed.

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it for something else....those things are handy! Get a clean/food-grade one for the aquarium. :)

Catch water off the roof in it for your lawn/flowers/bushes during the hot season.

Cut into two halves and use the halves for planters!

Google will show a ton more ideas.... :)

If i cant find a safe way to ensure its not contaminated, i will definatly use it for one of those ideas, however money is a little tight right now and new one will cost around $350-$500 here in oz. i might try and clean it, put some water through it and then have the water tested at my lfs to ensure its safe to use?

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fill it up with freshwater and throw some shiners and a air pump in there. If they live more than a few days you should be good. My shiners die quickly just from sticking hands in bucket while fishing.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like a brand-new price – ouch!

Can you get used ones for cheaper that carried food-grade oil, or tamari sauce or salad dressing or something?? :)

OP
OP
r33fertank

r33fertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more like a brand-new price – ouch!

Can you get used ones for cheaper that carried food-grade oil, or tamari sauce or salad dressing or something?? :)

That is brand new. Im looking into used foodgrade ones now. Its probly easier than mucking around with the other one. Seems i can probly get one for around 100 but il need to travel a little. Now iv just gotta find a freind with a ute to pik it up. Thanks for all the help. [emoji106]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back