Ich?? Coming and going

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could also be sand stuck to the slime coat of the fish.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Redfoxtang

People go insane trying to "sterilize" their tanks this is not only bad for the inhabitants it is impossible to accomplish.

Thirty years ago, ich had a greater prevalence in the hobby and we have many if not all the same medications to treat it. Why would this be? I watched the advent of the new and fancy wet/dry systems and shockingly ich prevalence began to decrease dramatically. Funny that.
It is possible to have an ich-free tank. I've done it. I feel so much at ease knowing they are ich-free. 30 years and there is no med for ich, just snake oil. Only Copper and TTM is good.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read very carefully people's posts that is why I quote and respond to each point I take issue with. I read your post and I responded. I quoted you as saying (writing) that EVERY tank should have adequate flow and oxygen. I am not quoting here because I have already quoted you and I stand by what I said.

To me “every tank should have adequate flow.” is not assuming that every tank automatically has adequate flow, they were saying that whether or not you have ich present, if you don’t have adequate oxygen you will have problems/deaths in the tank. Every tank should have adequate flow and oxygen.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP...

Your tank has ich.
Your fish have ich.
What is happening is their immune system is dealing with it. That's why you see a cycle where sometimes they will have a small amount of spots, then more spots then no spots.
The fish shed their ich infested slime coat and it looks like ich is gone. It's not gone but your fish are dealing with it.

Keep your fish well fed with nutritious foods and keep your water in great condition and your healthy fish will manage ich on their own.

Bad water paramaters and malnutritioned fish suffer from ich and other illnesses.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back