Ich Help

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I royally screwed up, and need help. So I purchased a Tomini tang, and I decided not to quarantine as I really need more nutrients. 24 hours later the Tomini is covered in ich. Before putting him into the tank last night, I carefully inspected him everywhere, and saw zero white spots or signs of ick in any of his fins or gills. I know that’s not a great plan, but I wanted to at least look. Anyway, I have him caught already, and I have a tank with copper I am acclimating him into now. My question is, since the white spots appeared over the 24 hours, and I pulled him out already, can I leave the other fish in the tank in? Or will ich tomonts already have dropped off, and I now need to run the tank fishless? I know I can catch the two fish left in there within the next day and transfer them to another system and they will not have ich, however I’d rather not have to take them out. Definitely will if necessary however. Thank you.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics under white lights, possibly a 30 second video as well.
Sorry. I have him in a pitcher currently as I am drip acclimating him into copper water. I can promise he has ich. This is the best picture I can take.

Attachments

• IMG_9749.png
    IMG_9749.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 46

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately been there. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of stress and a new fish will get covered. Then the dominos start to fall.

I too was hesitant to remove all fish. But ultimately that’s what I had to do. Lost a couple of fish and that forced my hand. Ended up treating all my fish in a garage tank and ran fallow.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately been there. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of stress and a new fish will get covered. Then the dominos start to fall.

I too was hesitant to remove all fish. But ultimately that’s what I had to do. Lost a couple of fish and that forced my hand. Ended up treating all my fish in a garage tank and ran fallow.
Had to once as well, at start of hobby. The thing that I am wondering is since the ich spots only just appeared, does that mean that the ich was already on him and only just started eating at the fish? Meaning the Ich wouldn’t have dropped off and created tomonts yet?

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to once as well, at start of hobby. The thing that I am wondering is since the ich spots only just appeared, does that mean that the ich was already on him and only just started eating at the fish? Meaning the Ich wouldn’t have dropped off and created tomonts yet?
If I remember correctly, if it is visible on the fish, then it’s already in the water. My memory could be a little fuzzy though since it was several years ago. You could always watch the other fish and hope it hasn’t spread. That was my gameplan before. Unfortunately in my case, I lost a Royal Gramma and Kole Yellow Eye before having to catch all the fish and medicate.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, if it is visible on the fish, then it’s already in the water. My memory could be a little fuzzy though since it was several years ago. You could always watch the other fish and hope it hasn’t spread. That was my gameplan before. Unfortunately in my case, I lost a Royal Gramma and Kole Yellow Eye before having to catch all the fish and medicate.
Meaning it has dropped off the fish already? There was no ich in the tank before I added the tang.

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding, yes. And that there was a lifecycle to consider. That it could take several days to weeks for the next fish to show symptoms.

There are lots of opinions on here about QT and fish disease. Ultimately I went with the fallow/medication route.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding, yes. And that there was a lifecycle to consider. That it could take several days to weeks for the next fish to show symptoms.

There are lots of opinions on here about QT and fish disease. Ultimately I went with the fallow/medication route.
Im already meditating the tomini. With how ich lifecycle works, I know that I can transfer the Melanurus and clown tonight, and not transfer ich into another system. Just really bummed that I need to run the tank fishless again, especially when I already struggle to keep nutrients raised in that tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,
So I royally screwed up, and need help. So I purchased a Tomini tang, and I decided not to quarantine as I really need more nutrients. 24 hours later the Tomini is covered in ich. Before putting him into the tank last night, I carefully inspected him everywhere, and saw zero white spots or signs of ick in any of his fins or gills. I know that’s not a great plan, but I wanted to at least look. Anyway, I have him caught already, and I have a tank with copper I am acclimating him into now. My question is, since the white spots appeared over the 24 hours, and I pulled him out already, can I leave the other fish in the tank in? Or will ich tomonts already have dropped off, and I now need to run the tank fishless? I know I can catch the two fish left in there within the next day and transfer them to another system and they will not have ich, however I’d rather not have to take them out. Definitely will if necessary however. Thank you.
If Ich will likely spread to other tankmates but ich moves every 24 hours and may be velvet. Pics under white light intensity will be helpful to assess the fish. A pic out of water is not helpful and size and location in the pic may be ich or mucus cones but again, need clearer pics

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Ich will likely spread to other tankmates but ich moves every 24 hours and may be velvet. Pics under white light intensity will be helpful to assess the fish. A pic out of water is not helpful and size and location in the pic may be ich or mucus cones but again, need clearer pics
I thought that once ich dropped off of a fish, there was roughly 3 days until the tomont hatches and releases free swimming theronts.

The tomini is now currently in QT with two other tangs. There is a sailfin in the tank who started attacked the tomini after 20 minutes, which is why the tominis fins are tattered now, so he is currently in a breeder box while I set up a separate tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought that once ich dropped off of a fish, there was roughly 3 days until the tomont hatches and releases free swimming theronts.

The tomini is now currently in QT with two other tangs. There is a sailfin in the tank who started attacked the tomini after 20 minutes, which is why the tominis fins are tattered now, so he is currently in a breeder box while I set up a separate tank.

This such and the cycle is called cycle because while they do fall off to reproduce, there are new cysts as well as those you see in different stages
As long as they have a host fish, the life cycle is continuous
By leaving display fishless (fallow), the cysts, theronts, timings will die off without a host. Leave fishless 6-8 weeks and treat with coppersafe a FULL 30 days at 2.25-2.5 and monitor both copper levels and water quality. Add aeration during treatment

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This such and the cycle is called cycle because while they do fall off to reproduce, there are new cysts as well as those you see in different stages
As long as they have a host fish, the life cycle is continuous
By leaving display fishless (fallow), the cysts, theronts, timings will die off without a host. Leave fishless 6-8 weeks and treat with coppersafe a FULL 30 days at 2.25-2.5 and monitor both copper levels and water quality. Add aeration during treatment
Yes I understand all of this. I plan to keep my frag tank fallow. What I’m wondering is that since I didn’t have ich in my tank before adding the tang, and because the tang was in the tank for only 24 hours, if I remove the Melanurus and Clown within the next day, there wouldn’t have been enough time for those two to be infected, correct? And tomonts only attach themselves to rock/substrate etc.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong, I have a QT running right now that I can put the melanurus and the clown into with the tangs, so I’m fully able to QT them, but if I can just change what tank they are in today to avoid putting them through the stress I want to know if that option is safe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong, I have a QT running right now that I can put the melanurus and the clown into with the tangs, so I’m fully able to QT them, but if I can just change what tank they are in today to avoid putting them through the stress I want to know if that option is safe.
That is a pretty severe case of it to show up in one day. It likely had some spots when you bought that were too small to be easily seen. With mature trophonts on a fish like that, there is a good chance some dropped off in you display and will start to multiply. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best…

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty severe case of it to show up in one day. It likely had some spots when you bought that were too small to be easily seen. With mature trophonts on a fish like that, there is a good chance some dropped off in you display and will start to multiply. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best…

Jay
Do you think removing the two other fish that are in the tank to a separate tank will be fine, since it’s been less than 48 hours? Or will they need to be quarantined as well? I just do that know whether or not they could have gotten infected yet due to ichs lifecycle.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think removing the two other fish that are in the tank to a separate tank will be fine, since it’s been less than 48 hours? Or will they need to be quarantined as well? I just do that know whether or not they could have gotten infected yet due to ichs lifecycle.
There is no way to tell - too many variables.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. definitely a bummer, but better to be safe than sorry then. I know the clown will be fine, but will a Melanarus be okay in ≈2.5 ppm copper?
Yes, I would dose at 2.25 ppm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back