Ich? Help!

saraeelove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 40 saltwater tank. I added 2 clown fishes and in few hours I noticed one of the fishes has a little speck on her head or it might be a little scratch. Sometimes it looks like a dot and sometimes it looks like a scratch. My clown fishes have been playing with each other but I noticed that they swim close to the glass. They aren’t rubbing against the rocks.

I’m not sure if it’s ich. Now, I am paranoid so now I am assuming my crabs have ich too but it might be sand since they are usually on the sand and live rock.

It was my mistake of not quarantining my clown fishes and now I’m worried.
Especially because now my ammonia level went from 0 to 0.25

So far my salinity is 1.023-1.024
ph level : 8.1
And nitrite levels are at 0

16D64376-89C8-42CF-8BB3-4E73580A6828.jpeg

BEFFAE4F-CE1C-4693-9279-0B7AE0D116BC.jpeg

04F7A2D4-FBFC-44E1-9AA2-AFE01B57C2C4.jpeg

E36AB98C-D80F-49FC-ACC4-C063C134305C.png

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to worry about your crabs they won't get ich. Your clown, just keep him well fed and monitor him.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I sent a message to the mods to get your thread moved to the fish disease section. Second, it’s hard for me to tell at this point whether it is ich or a blemish at this point. Is this the only spot? Signs to look out for are breathing heavy, flashing/scratching on the rock, clamped fins. Also if it is ich it will drop off after 5-7 days of being there. As mentioned already your hermit crab will not be affected by it. Ich can live on shells during the cyst stage but the crab won’t be harmed by it. If does turn out to be ich and you want to eradicate it then the best option is to remove all fish, copper treat them for 30 days and let the tank go fallow for 76 days.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also are you using an api kit to test your ammonia? I have found that one to give false readings with saltwater.

OP
OP
S

saraeelove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I sent a message to the mods to get your thread moved to the fish disease section. Second, it’s hard for me to tell at this point whether it is ich or a blemish at this point. Is this the only spot? Signs to look out for are breathing heavy, flashing/scratching on the rock, clamped fins. Also if it is ich it will drop off after 5-7 days of being there. As mentioned already your hermit crab will not be affected by it. Ich can live on shells during the cyst stage but the crab won’t be harmed by it. If does turn out to be ich and you want to eradicate it then the best option is to remove all fish, copper treat them for 30 days and let the tank go fallow for 76 days.

Ok thank you so much ! He seems fine but that spot on his head worried me. The only thing they do is that they swim close to the glass. I am not sure if that’s normal.
So far, no heaving breathing and no scratching on rocks

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you recommend ?

I personally prefer salifert. Although to be honest I test ammonia so little that the API suffices. In instances where it’s more important to know (such as a QT or HT), when I’m using copper, or with smaller volumes of water then I use the seachem ammonia badges.

Back