Ich in quarantine for weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a spectrophotometer and how much are they?
It’s a Hach DR2000, a lab device that passes light through the test tube to read the color better than my bad eyes can(grin). Not practical in a home setting, though the Hanna checker colorimeter is a similar process I think.
Jay

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have sworn by paraguard after my first QT and seeing the results myself but this time it's been a much different outcome. Might do TTM with some tubs or buckets. The hardest thing for me is working 12hr shifts and basically being out of the house for 14+ hours a day then to come home help kids with online school problems, having dinner. Testing copper and dosing copper is just one more thing to add to the list of things I already can't get to on my work days. TTM might afford me some extra time especially if I mix water in larger batches to it's ready to use on tranfer days.
I feel your pain with this. For me to do a good ttm i auctually set up 7 buckets of saltwater at a clip with mini heaters and bought a half dozen cheap air pumps and stones. That way all week id just move the fish to the new bucket and unplug the old one moving it to the slop sink to clean later. That way my daily activities were kept to a minimum and the rest could be done as i had a little more time. The only thing i recommend is teating the heaters first if you do this. It does cost a little bit up front to set up like this but i use old salt buckets and now have a 7 battery operated back up air pumps so thats not a waste, i guess theres always uses for the heaters too lol.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Hach DR2000, a lab device that passes light through the test tube to read the color better than my bad eyes can(grin). Not practical in a home setting, though the Hanna checker colorimeter is a similar process I think.
Jay

Lol ya i have all the fun lab gear for work too, the average reefer probably dosent want to spent 1500 and up for these kits. The hach entry level is the dr900 (colorimeter) and will run about 1500 by the time shipping and reagents are bought.
Spectrometers are even more $$. Just get a hanna checker, their accurate enough for the hobby and run about $50 which is much more reasonable.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used Paraguard years ago but doesn’t do much these days. I quarantine all incoming fish inverts corals etc.
Have a 750 gallon system which will be impossible to catch anything once it goes in and will be a nightmare to treat.
For fish I use copper power, start at 1.0 ppm and ramp up over 3-5 days then leave for 14-30 days depending on species. Have had leopard, fairy and flasher wrasses, tangs, angels etc go through without issue. Only issues I’ve had is with chromis and anthias with uronema (multiple batches) so I’ve given up on them.
I also add general cure at some point 5 days apart. Might change water if I get the time but usually add bacteria in between and also seachem safe/prime (can make water cloudy). Have 40 plus fish in tank having gone through quarantine. Started initially with TTM but found this method with copper easier.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back