Ich or no

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i thought my first post would be more uplifting but i had a question do you guys think this is ich id love to make a post soon about my fish and corals this is working on me though concerned thanks for anyone who can help. To me it looks like ich or something not good just would like a confirmation because something is very off with how he looks. He ate this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.MOV
    8.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i thought my first post would be more uplifting but i had a question do you guys think this is ich id love to make a post soon about my fish and corals this is working on me though concerned thanks for anyone who can help. To me it looks like ich or something not good just would like a confirmation because something is very off with how he looks. He ate this morning.
Can you try another video under white light? At first I just thought ich, but then I saw some mucus strands coming off the dorsal fin - that is more a sign of Brooklynella. The treatments are different, but both require isolating all of the fish from invertebrates in a treatment tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try another video under white light? At first I just thought ich, but then I saw some mucus strands coming off the dorsal fin - that is more a sign of Brooklynella. The treatments are different, but both require isolating all of the fish from invertebrates in a treatment tank.
Jay
Ive lost my royale gramma and my first clown this was my first nano i dont have an iso tank so i guess i just have to let it take its course my inverts and corals will be safe from whatever it is more or less? Thanks for the help im going to look that up.

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Wow after looking it up and reading around amazing call thank you. So there is no treating this tank because all treatments are copper based and would kill my corals and inverts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow after looking it up and reading around amazing call thank you. So there is no treating this tank because all treatments are copper based and would kill my corals and inverts?
You've lost a royal gramma already? They are prone to Brooklynella as well, so I think that may be it. Treating with formalin in a treatment tank (no invertebrates) would be the best course of action. You might try Ruby Reef Rally Pro dips though.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree with jay on Brook as I was able to expand video on a large screen. very severe case with secondary bacterial infection. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Back