Ich or stress related skin issues with Emperor and Hippo?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line upfront, I'm trying to rule out if I have ich in my tank.
  1. All fish are QT 'd or come from those that QT.
  2. I have: Blue Hippo Tang, Candy Baslet, Marine Betta, Clown, Blue Spot Jawfish, Blue Star Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Flame Angel, Bicolor Blenny, Orange Striped Goby, 2 Cardinals, and an Aiptasia Eating Filefish.
  3. I haven't added any fish in several months.
  4. I recently got an Emperor Angel from a local refer who also QT's everything and has no known issues.
  5. I used an acclimation box to introduce the Emperor to the tank and did not see any major aggression when added. I did notice that the Emperor was color spolchy the first couple days... it appeared to be stressed which is expected in a new environment.
  6. Within about 2 weeks, I noticed some spols on my Hippo. Spots go away within 3-days.
  7. The Emperor continues to show some splochy discoloration from time to time.
  8. About 1 week later, I wake up to a Hippo with lots of spots and a completely discolored Angel.
  9. That same day, I finally cought the Hippo in my fish trap and moved him to my observation tank. (I introduced the trap when I 1st saw spots on the Hippo.)
  10. Within hours of removing the Hippo, the Emperor is no longer blotchy and Hippo is looking better.
  11. Within 48 hours, I can't find spots on Hippo.
  12. It's been 10 days, and the Hippo is spot free on the side I can see. There appears to be a spot or two on the side I can't really get a good look at...very hard to tell.

This pretty closely matched what I saw on my Hippo.

I have a couple theories.
  1. The new fish (or my tank) had ich and a stressor (the new fish) that caused my susceptible Hippo to break out.
  2. The Emperor and Hippo where being aggresive and causing each other skin issues.

A couple other notes:
  • No other fish developed spots or issues
  • When the Hippo left the tank, my Candy Basslet, Blue Spot Jawfish, and Betta are now out and about.
  • Given the small size of the observation tank and the fact that it doesn't have UV or anything to combat ich, I was expecting to see a lot more spots and issues with the Hippo.

Thought on what's going on?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  2. I have: Blue Hippo Tang, Candy Baslet, Marine Betta, Clown, Blue Spot Jawfish, Blue Star Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Flame Angel, Bicolor Blenny, Orange Striped Goby, 2 Cardinals, and an Aiptasia Eating Filefish.
  4. I recently got an Emperor Angel from a local refer who also QT's everything and has no known issues.
  5. I used an acclimation box to introduce the Emperor to the tank and did not see any major aggression when added. I did notice that the Emperor was color spolchy the first couple days... it appeared to be stressed which is expected in a new environment.
  6. Within about 2 weeks, I noticed some spols on my Hippo. Spots go away within 3-days.
  8. About 1 week later, I wake up to a Hippo with lots of spots and a completely discolored Angel.
  9. That same day, I finally cought the Hippo in my fish trap and moved him to my observation tank. (I introduced the trap when I 1st saw spots on the Hippo.)
  10. Within hours of removing the Hippo, the Emperor is no longer blotchy and Hippo is looking better.
  12. It's been 10 days, and the Hippo is spot free on the side I can see. There appears to be a spot or two on the side I can't really get a good look at...very hard to tell.

1. The new fish (or my tank) had ich and a stressor (the new fish) that caused my susceptible Hippo to break out.
  2. The Emperor and Hippo where being aggresive and causing each other skin issues.

A couple other notes:
  • When the Hippo left the tank, my Candy Basslet, Blue Spot Jawfish, and Betta are now out and about.
  • Given the small size of the observation tank and the fact that it doesn't have UV or anything to combat ich, I was expecting to see a lot more spots and issues with the Hippo.

Can be velvet but based on typical occurrences, appears to be mucus cones possible mixed in with ich and will require treatment with use of coppersafe. Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A couple other notes:

Well, it's not velvet, none of the symptoms match up - velvet would show as rapid breathing and not eating.

Emperors are prone to flukes and ich. In response to either infection, they develop blotchy skin.
Hepatus tangs are prone to ich, but also what is termed "mucus plugs". Those are white spots, larger than ich, that form as a result of some stressor (and ich can be the stressor for those!).

Unless you see black spots on the fish, skip that thread that you linked to - it is a hot mess. People saying the fish has velvet when it very clearly has a turbellarian infection, possibly mixed in with some ich. The other diagnoses ranged from Lymphocystis (clearly not that) to flukes (possible).

The spots coming and going is a hallmark of an ich infection, but are you described, if the spots come and go with the moving of fish around, they could be a result of stress/fighting with those fish.

At this point, I think you might have an underlying ich infection, but one that could still be managed if you are very careful and observant.

Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal ...the color blotchiness on the Emperor were very large portions of the fish. Think of it like faded coloration. I've seen many fish that fade colors when stressed or trying to hide...it also resolved almost immediately with the removal of the Tang and has never come back.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal ...the color blotchiness on the Emperor were very large portions of the fish. Think of it like faded coloration. I've seen many fish that fade colors when stressed or trying to hide...it also resolved almost immediately with the removal of the Tang and has never come back.
Yep - emperors are real whimps - they fade color/ get blotchy for just about any stressor. That can mask more serious skin conditions, but if the color returned, that is good.

Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal ...I'm thinking it's Idiopathic mucus plugs/cones. I couldn't find too much info on it besides your article. Could you provide some guidance for identification.

The "cones" jogged something else I was seeing earlier on the Tang. There were several small bumps on the Tang with no discoloration not white dots, just like tiny skin colored pimples.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal ...I'm thinking it's Idiopathic mucus plugs/cones. I couldn't find too much info on it besides your article. Could you provide some guidance for identification.

The "cones" jogged something else I was seeing earlier on the Tang. There were several small bumps on the Tang with no discoloration not white dots, just like tiny skin colored pimples.
Mucus plugs are larger than ich, and protrude from the skin like cones. You usually do not see them on fins, just the body.
Bumps in the skin with no discoloration are usually not anything treatable.

Jay

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's not velvet, none of the symptoms match up - velvet would show as rapid breathing and not eating.

Emperors are prone to flukes and ich. In response to either infection, they develop blotchy skin.
Hepatus tangs are prone to ich, but also what is termed "mucus plugs". Those are white spots, larger than ich, that form as a result of some stressor (and ich can be the stressor for those!).

Unless you see black spots on the fish, skip that thread that you linked to - it is a hot mess. People saying the fish has velvet when it very clearly has a turbellarian infection, possibly mixed in with some ich. The other diagnoses ranged from Lymphocystis (clearly not that) to flukes (possible).

The spots coming and going is a hallmark of an ich infection, but are you described, if the spots come and go with the moving of fish around, they could be a result of stress/fighting with those fish.

At this point, I think you might have an underlying ich infection, but one that could still be managed if you are very careful and observant.

Jay
I second this, my blue hippo tang pops up with these mucus plugs swarming it’s body every no and again. The fish still eats and swims actively. I now just ignore it. They go away after a few days. No other tang in my tank get these “mucus plugs” just the hippo

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mucus plugs are larger than ich, and protrude from the skin like cones. You usually do not see them on fins, just the body.
Bumps in the skin with no discoloration are usually not anything treatable.

Jay

Nothing ever on the fins and the description on mucus plugs seemed to indicate the mucus would build up and sort of erupt. The bumps went away and the white dots were larger sugar sized spots from what I can tell. There does appear to be some residual skin injury...this Tang is super skittish and almost impossible to take a picture of even in the small tank.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do with pictures...

20231206_175510.jpg
20231206_175508.jpg
20231206_172136.jpg
20231206_172117.jpg
20231206_172116.jpg
20231206_171120.jpg
20231206_171048.jpg
20231206_171042.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal ...if you get a chance check out the pictures.
Yes, the spots on the hepatus are just mucus plugs. I can see some splotchiness on the emperor - could be skin flukes. No other symptoms though, right?

Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find a local reefer to take and treat the Hippo...I'll wait at least 3 months to see what's going on in the tank. No other fish shows any signs of issues.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick follow-up. Main tank remains issue free since the exit of the Hippo. In addition, all my other fish are out there more...I'm thinking the Hippo was a bully...

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
It's been 6 weeks since the Hippo Tang was removed from the tank. There have been no signs of disease on any of the remaining fish. I even added two qt'd Zebra Firefish two weeks ago to see if any issues would pop up with some relatively inexpensive fish. Again no issues of any disease.

Are there any other precautions to take prior to adding a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang? I had to pause this order for credit when the issues started. Should I wait several more weeks to see if any issues arise or assume that things are stable?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
It's been 6 weeks since the Hippo Tang was removed from the tank. There have been no signs of disease on any of the remaining fish. I even added two qt'd Zebra Firefish two weeks ago to see if any issues would pop up with some relatively inexpensive fish. Again no issues of any disease.

Are there any other precautions to take prior to adding a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang? I had to pause this order for credit when the issues started. Should I wait several more weeks to see if any issues arise or assume that things are stable?
The longer you wait, the safer you will be, but IMO, 45 days with no issues is pretty safe.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back