Ich treating

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can't decide if I should do the QT or another option.. what I wanted to do to cure my clownfish ich, is moving the rocks and invertebrates into another tank, leaving the Fish in the display tank with hyposalinity, OR making a QT for my clownfish and waiting until ich dies in the tank with no host fish, I do NOT have copper equipment btw, and I'm scared of a quarantine tank because of the ammonia amounts, and hard to get this much water to my qt (50% changes????)

20240226_201145.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank a fowlr or reef?
If you are going to go to the trouble of setting up a new tank for the inverts, you might as well just put the fish in that tank and qt it.
All new fish will have to be qt’ed to avoid future outbreaks anyway.
The process is daunting, but as long as you are on top of it it isn’t so bad.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank a fowlr or reef?
If you are going to go to the trouble of setting up a new tank for the inverts, you might as well just put the fish in that tank and qt it.
All new fish will have to be qt’ed to avoid future outbreaks anyway.
The process is daunting, but as long as you are on top of it it isn’t so bad.
It's a Fowlr tank and I might have trouble with the QT, what about the cycle? And will ich die without host? How fast?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will die without a fish host after 60 days.
If you move media from the dt to the qt (biomedia in the filter), this can help to cycle the qt.
If you don’t have any corals, it can make moving inverts and doing a hypo treatment much easier. In that case inverts can be kept out of the display tank for at least 60 days while you can do a hyposalinity treatment on the dt (sg of 1.009 for 30 days after the last spot disappears).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I can't decide if I should do the QT or another option.. what I wanted to do to cure my clownfish ich, is moving the rocks and invertebrates into another tank, leaving the Fish in the display tank with hyposalinity, OR making a QT for my clownfish and waiting until ich dies in the tank with no host fish, I do NOT have copper equipment btw, and I'm scared of a quarantine tank because of the ammonia amounts, and hard to get this much water to my qt (50% changes????)

20240226_201145.jpg
Trust me- treat in a separate tank and not display as it will be near impossible to safely stock coral and inverts
Don’t count on reef safe treatment to be effective either

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me- treat in a separate tank and not display as it will be near impossible to safely stock coral and inverts
Don’t count on reef safe treatment to be effective either
Yeah that seems way easier, I do not have treatment is what I mean, and I can't really order one... What should I do in my QT? I'll just wait until the ich dies in the DT, but about QT cycling? they say to put filter media, but it might contain ich too... My ammonia test kit arrives in a few days or tomorrow.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems way easier, I do not have treatment is what I mean, and I can't really order one... What should I do in my QT? I'll just wait until the ich dies in the DT, but about QT cycling? they say to put filter media, but it might contain ich too... My ammonia test kit arrives in a few days or tomorrow.
You will potentially be transferring ich into the qt with filter media, but that risk would not matter since you would be treating in qt.
Do you have access to copper based meds?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will potentially be transferring ich into the qt with filter media, but that risk would not matter since you would be treating in qt.
Do you have access to copper based meds?
Maybe, I'll search in the LFS what they have, do I need a copper test kit?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... Well then Formalin and malachite green is all I can do if I'll be able to find it (if the test is REALLY needed of course)

Formalin/malachite green just doesn't work well for marine ich, I stopped using it except with freshwater fish.

If you can get coppersafe, and IF you know the exact volume of the tank, you can dose it without a test kit....

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh... Well then Formalin and malachite green is all I can do if I'll be able to find it (if the test is REALLY needed of course)
No malachite or formalin
What country are you in?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just saw youre in France. You will want Avloclor or Copper Power which you can also get

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin/malachite green just doesn't work well for marine ich, I stopped using it except with freshwater fish.

If you can get coppersafe, and IF you know the exact volume of the tank, you can dose it without a test kit....

Jay
Will seachem cupramine work?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back