Ich

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have just put a Powder Blue in my tank, it killed my Regal Tang this morning, and now Ive noticed my Royal gramma has Ich, what should I do all my LFS are closed now being Sunday? UK

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone, I have just put a Powder Blue in my tank, it killed my Regal Tang this morning, and now Ive noticed my Royal gramma has Ich, what should I do all my LFS are closed now being Sunday? UK
First, I’m sorry about the aggression.

Second: I would consider isolating him to a QT tank or the sump immediately since he seems aggressive.

Now for the questions: what type of tank do you have?

Can you please post pictures under white light of the royal gramma? Are any other fish showing symptoms?

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for replying, the tank I have is 55gallon/240litres, unfortunately I don’t have a QT tank or Sump as I use the Fluval FX4 canister filter, I also can’t get a Pic of the Royal Gramma as he is hiding in the Rock somewhere now : (

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait... the new powder blue killed a existing regal?

Normally its the other way around....
How new was the powder blue?

I am suspecting you probably go the ich from the powder blue, as they are super ich factories.

You want photos of the grama in white light to help the fish medics.

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the Powder Blue killed the Regal because although the PB is small he was twice the size of the RT, I also dont have white lights on my light they are blues only sorry its a reef flare bar: ( p.s the PB seems fine no signs of Ich on any other fish

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any coral in the tank?

There are 2 options (if this is actually ich)

Option one is hyposalinity in the current tank. You will need accurate testing equipment and will need to maintain the salinity of 1.009. This will cause a die off of anything that isn't a fish. Corals and any algae will not survive.

Option 2 is to remove all fish, treat with copper in a seperate quarantine
tank for a full 30 days maintaining 2.25 copper for the entire duration. Hanna copper test is recommended. Any lower than 2.0 any any point and the clock needs to restart. During this time the tank will need to be fallow for 46 days.

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I do I have 7 different corals all softies
Are there any coral in the tank?

There are 2 options (if this is actually ich)

Option one is hyposalinity in the current tank. You will need accurate testing equipment and will need to maintain the salinity of 1.009. This will cause a die off of anything that isn't a fish. Corals and any algae will not survive.

Option 2 is to remove all fish, treat with copper in a seperate quarantine
tank for a full 30 days maintaining 2.25 copper for the entire duration. Hanna copper test is recommended. Any lower than 2.0 any any point and the clock needs to restart. During this time the tank will need to be fallow for 46 days.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also note that the powder blue should be in a tank almost 3 times that size. Aggression and stress are bound to be factors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is one of the nastiest tangs and fastest growing tangs and tank size won’t change its behavior now or later

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one thing to do is confirm that the gramma has ich for sure. Powder blues get ich really easily, so you may be able to use that fish as the “canary in the coal mine”.
You are going to have a challenge managing ich in a tank with invertebrates and fish:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any medications on the market that are reef, fish and invertebrate safe
None that work well. Most are “snake oil”. You might try peroxide dosing, but even that should be combined with other ich management techniques.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back