Ich!!!!!!!

unlimitedbulliesjavie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like fellow reefers opinions on what is the best ich treatment available on the market and reef safe

reef1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion spectrum thera a pellets (or anything the fish will eat) is the best thing for a sick fish.

I say this because I think throwing chemicals at an already sick/weak fish will only stress it out more. I am a believer in feeding through ich. Call me crazy but whenever I notice the onset of ich I just feed, feed then feed some more.

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to really cure it is in a quarantinne tank with copper or hypo.

The best way to prevent an out break in a display if it's already in the system is stable parameters and garlic enriched food.

bearjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no reef save treatments for the treatment of ich. The only treatments that will cure ich is copper any hypo-salinity. Neither of these treatments can be performed in the display tank.

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to fully answer your question, I don't think there is any medications on the market that actually do what they say. There is no such thing as a reef safe ich treatment IMO.

xthunderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo worked well for me, but it was a fair amount of work. Within a week of reaching target salinity all the spots were off and fish were starting to heal.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get all of your fish into a hospital tank and you have three options, copper (Cupramine), hyposalinity, or Cloroquine phosphate. Leave the display tank fallow (fishless) for 10-12 weeks. As already mentioned, there is no reef safe Ich cure.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an additional option not mentioned. That is tank transfer method. It involves moving the fish from one HT to a sterile one every 3 days for 4 transfers. This takes advantage of the Ich life cycle to eliminate the parasite from your fish. If a fish is critically ill from the infection I think hypo or Cupramine would be better.

Which ever treatment you choose your DT needs to remain fallow for 8-10 weeks (depending on who you read). Otherwise your fish will just get sick again when you re-introduce them to your tank.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awww. that impossible for me to catch all the fish out. my powder brown and lyretail anthais so sick now, booth trying go to peppermint shrimp!!

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get all of your fish into a hospital tank and you have three options, copper (Cupramine), hyposalinity, or Cloroquine phosphate. Leave the display tank fallow (fishless) for 10-12 weeks. As already mentioned, there is no reef safe Ich cure.

+1, and quarantine all new arrivals before introduction into the DT.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion spectrum thera a pellets (or anything the fish will eat) is the best thing for a sick fish.

I say this because I think throwing chemicals at an already sick/weak fish will only stress it out more. I am a believer in feeding through ich. Call me crazy but whenever I notice the onset of ich I just feed, feed then feed some more.

+1 best treatment is to feed and let them recover, Chasing a fish around trying to catch it and putting in another tank just stresses them to death most of the time Ime and Iv learned to leave them alone and keep them fed and they do great, My yellow tang has ich right now but I'm not worried one bit because I'll just feed him good and he will be fine, Yes there's some articles on how to cure ich and there life cycle but still nobody can explain where ich goes in all these healthy reefs that have been set up for years that once had a fish with ich but never showed signs again after it recovered. So imo going fallow is not needed and doesn't always work.

Last edited:

TheAcroholic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 best treatment is to feed and let them recover, Chasing a fish around trying to catch it and putting in another tank just stresses them to death most of the time Ime and Iv learned to leave them alone and keep them fed and they do great, My yellow tang has ich right now but I'm not worried one bit because I'll just feed him good and he will be fine, Yes there's some articles on how to cure ich and there life cycle but still nobody can explain where ich goes in all these healthy reefs that have been set up for years that once had a fish with ich but never showed signs again after it recovered. So imo going fallow is not needed and doesn't always work.

I also agree with this. I had ich in my tank, doubled my water change schedule and over fed my tank for a bit. All fish recovered and I haven't seen any ich since. I also added a strong uv sterilizer (I know some people say it doesn't work) but that seems to have helped with a lot of stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back