Ich

baucom73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've got a 650 gallon reef tank. What would be the best way to help with ich? I've got a 55 watt UV sterilizer on it. Been on a month now. Mt Achilles tang went from brown to a very light brown. How do the guys with big tanks controlled the problem?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's tough. Most folks QT the fish with ich but I'm sure catching it will be a challenge. Have you tried any of the reef safe medicines like Prazi Pro?

OP
OP
baucom73

baucom73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres no way for me to catch them all. I hot a 18" remora 2 fox face a look down 2 parrots emperor snapper naso tang 5 blennies a bat fish and a few others

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago my new midas blenny got ich and I didn't think I could catch it without tearing the tank apart. Now I am an old salt and I had a old remedy called Greenex that used to be touted as reef safe. Its been off the market a good many years but I still had some so I used it. I have similar corals as you and it kicked the ich and my corals are fine. I doubt you can find it anywhere though.

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did sentry parasield. worked for me well!!! I have quite a few corals ad they all did well with it. the only prob I had was that my skimmer went nuts...... I put a filter sock over the cups drain tube or I woulda been emptying my collection cup about every 5 mins or so...

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my skimmer off during treatment. Some folks unplug the UV's too because they do break down the effectiveness of meds but I kept mine on to stop the spread of disease.

Mjpisanti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try adding a cleaner wrasse or cleaner shrimp to the tank alone with dosing vitamins and garlic on a regular basis. I have read that keeping fish healthy during the itch process can help them live through the parasites on their own. I also have chem marine itch stop that i purchased because it was supposably fish and reef safe but i ended up not having to use it so i cannot recommend it but it may be worth a little research

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try adding a cleaner wrasse or cleaner shrimp to the tank alone with dosing vitamins and garlic on a regular basis. I have read that keeping fish healthy during the itch process can help them live through the parasites on their own. I also have chem marine itch stop that i purchased because it was supposably fish and reef safe but i ended up not having to use it so i cannot recommend it but it may be worth a little research

Just myths.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've got a 650 gallon reef tank. What would be the best way to help with ich? I've got a 55 watt UV sterilizer on it. Been on a month now. Mt Achilles tang went from brown to a very light brown. How do the guys with big tanks controlled the problem?

Get a glass fish trap and get them out 1,2 even 3 at a time per day. Look up mr. Saltwater tank on YouTube how he catches his wrasse and you'll get the idea :)

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only choice is to pull them and allow display to go fallow. Or pull corals and do hypo or chloroquine.

OP
OP
baucom73

baucom73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 watt UV is starting to kick in. White spots are fading and fishes colors are starting to come back

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave em all alone, as long as they remain active, and eat, your good to go, they are fully capable of beating it themselves, theres no reason to bug out the fish by trying to catch them all, stresssing out the entire DT. You wait and watch.

The UV only kills, or I should say sterilizes free floating parasite, it can't do anything about the eggs that are already on the tank bottom or the parasite already on the fish.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave em all alone, as long as they remain active, and eat, your good to go, they are fully capable of beating it themselves, theres no reason to bug out the fish by trying to catch them all, stresssing out the entire DT. You wait and watch.

The UV only kills, or I should say sterilizes free floating parasite, it can't do anything about the eggs that are already on the tank bottom or the parasite already on the fish.

I agree. Fish that are eating well and acting normal get over ich on their own.

Back