Ich

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a 20 gal for a QT. Ich can last a while so I would keep the fish in there for at least 8 weeks to be safe. If the fish is feeding that is a good sign. soak food in garlic. Also I use Kent Zoa, it has vitamins,amino acids and minerals in it. Helps the fish get the stuff not avail in frozen or dry food.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the comment about soaking the food in garlic. I did with one of my clowns and it did seem to help. Is quarantine not an option?

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed garlic soaked mysis with good results. The garlic is supposed to boost their immune system and help them fight off the ich.

+1 on this. If you are like me and like to avoid using chems soak your food in fresh garlic and use foods that have garlic in them.

We just added a cherub angel, and we don't have the luxury of a QT, so we acclimated and all went well. He was eating in the store and looked very healthy. Then our dottyback saw the angel and they went at it for 3 days straight. Have too many corals and too much LR that catching was impossible.

We got fresh garlic and cut it up and soaked all of our food in it, 3 days later, can't see a thing on the fish. I wouldn't say the ich is gone, because it is still probably in our water, but the fish doesn't show any signs of it. Good luck.

Last edited:

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I save my fish and didnt harm my coral any was garlic and Vit. C and raised my temp. in my tank. I add the Vit.C to my fish food and dose my tank with it. The only other product I would add to my tank is ick gaurd and still do the other 2 things.

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and if he still wont eat you can try entice I use that for new wrasses when ever they dont seem to be eating.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take your pick hypo or copper anything else is just BS

How is anything else BS? If you can boost your fishes immune system with something like garlic, so they don't contract the parasite or just simply so they beat it, how is that BS? If the fish are able to beat off the Ich because they have a boosted immune system, won't the parasite just die off because they need a host to survive? Is this not a classic case of a asymbiotic relationship?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is anything else BS? If you can boost your fishes immune system with something like garlic, so they don't contract the parasite or just simply so they beat it, how is that BS? If the fish are able to beat off the Ich because they have a boosted immune system, won't the parasite just die off because they need a host to survive? Is this not a classic case of a asymbiotic relationship?

Boosting the fish immune system will not eradticate the parasite. Sould the fish become stressed in the future ich will
return. You may not see the ich because it may only be in the gills or inside the mouth cavity where the slime coat is
the lowest concentration. The object of hypo salinity or copper actually kills off the ich, in which case the fish can
enter into a small stressful time period without contracting ich agian because the parasite does not exsist. Any
technique that doesn't rid the tank of the parasite is only asking for it to return at a later date.

JR

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
justinm

I truely believe that, raising fairy wrasses and rare wrasses you run into problems with immune system being very low due to shipping and stress. But if you can entice them with garlic to eat healthy food you have a far better chance to ward off dieses and parasites.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say it would eradicate the parasite, just that when the ich fell off the fish in its cycle of life, that when it returned the fishes' built up immune system would not allow it to attach. Isn't prevention the best medicine? So why not give our fish the best chance they deserve. Just my .02. If you can easily catch your fish, by all means I would perform a hypo, not chemicals. But chasing your fish all over your tank is also pretty stressful and can kill your fish when it is already under a decent amount of stress. I recently had a ich outbreak and after doing tons of research, I found more positive things on garlic than any other. Like I said my .02.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that garlic also triggers the feeding response so it might be worth a go just to see what happens. Obviously there are many different opinions on what to do, garlic has worked for me but I'm sure the health and stress level of the fish make a big difference. My advice is do something, the longer you wait the worse it will get.

Patrick2DX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ick come into my main tank about a month ago, I used a hospital tank with copper and let my main tank stay as is, corals, inverts, one yellow goby and 6 green chromis (Goby's chromis seem to be immune the Ick) Then i let main system go a month with no new fish to the system and 2 week water change's and my main system is free of Ick now. And about a week in the hospital tank with copper at 0.25 PPM i moved the fish to a stand by tank with live sand and live rock and all by fish did very well..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back