Ich?

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone!

Have this melanurus wrasse with some spots on em.. Never dealt with this before so not sure what im looking for.. I noticed these white spots last night before lights turned off, today they're still there.. i do have fine sand so i was hoping it was that but not sure now.. He's not showing any signs of illness, he's eating like normal, he's actively swimming around.. All my parameters seem fine.. i added a blue eyed kole tang a couple weeks ago but not seeing anything on the tang or any of my other fish and no aggression from the tang towards the wrasse.. Will post pic! Thank you anything helps

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230624_180513_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone!

Have this melanurus wrasse with some spots on em.. Never dealt with this before so not sure what im looking for.. I noticed these white spots last night before lights turned off, today they're still there.. i do have fine sand so i was hoping it was that but not sure now.. He's not showing any signs of illness, he's eating like normal, he's actively swimming around.. All my parameters seem fine.. i added a blue eyed kole tang a couple weeks ago but not seeing anything on the tang or any of my other fish and no aggression from the tang towards the wrasse.. Will post pic! Thank you anything helps
I've had em for over 2 years

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a minor case of ich to me.
I have a similar case with a 5 year old blue, a few dots, but nothing on anyone else for a month now.
No way I can get everyone out without destroying all the corals, so for me, it’s watch and wait to see what happens.

They will fall off, then reappear days later. So far for me, the infection is not getting worse, but less dots last two weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had em for over 2 years
Not sure about minor case of ich as ich is ich but appears to be more what is known as Amyloodinium but before concluding, please provide pics under white lighting for clearer assessment and recommendations.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about minor case of ich as ich is ich but appears to be more what is known as Amyloodinium but before concluding, please provide pics under white lighting for clearer assessment and recommendations.
Im trying to get a good quality pic but its so hard since he moves alot, i do notice some falling off while watching him..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im trying to get a good quality pic but its so hard since he moves alot, i do notice some falling off while watching him..
Ich does not fall off and it can be grains of sand which is not uncommon.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a mix of both cuz i still see a few in the same area and some falling off.. I've had sand stick to a fish but it comes off after a couple hours.. Would ich stay in the same spots or do they move around the host or does it just reproduce and become more on the host?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that is Amyloodinium, and ich trophonts can come and go at early stages of an infection.

The question I have is why would ich show up after such a long period?

OP- Was anything new added to the tank?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t think that is Amyloodinium, and ich trophonts can come and go at early stages of an infection.

Jay
Agree after such a long period of time why I suspected Amyloodinium as these spots seem to be staying in one spot.

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
My most recent addition was a blue eyed kole tang which i added around 3 weeks ago and a bangaii cardinal that has been in there for almost 2 months now, but i checked both of them out for a bit and i don't see anything on the tang or the cardinal. Every other fish has been in there for atleast 2 years

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent addition was a blue eyed kole tang which i added around 3 weeks ago and a bangaii cardinal that has been in there for almost 2 months now, but i checked both of them out for a bit and i don't see anything on the tang or the cardinal. Every other fish has been in there for atleast 2 years
Amyloodinium / velvet doesn’t have a resting phase, so ich is more likely to crop up after longer periods of time.
The spots on the wrasse are too large to be velvet, it is either ich, or possibly sand grains.
Jay

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amyloodinium / velvet doesn’t have a resting phase, so ich is more likely to crop up after longer periods of time.
The spots on the wrasse are too large to be velvet, it is either ich, or possibly sand grains.
Jay
Does ich look more like lesions? Or like round bumps under the skin? Or is it on the outer?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does ich look more like lesions? Or like round bumps under the skin? Or is it on the outer?
Ich has a few different “looks” depending on the species of fish and how long it has been infected.
Ich most often looks like grains of salt, slightly under, or on the skin. The spots change location and number day to day.
In advanced cases, mucus develops that makes the spots less distinct. More rarely, secondary infections set in making true lesions.
Jay

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich has a few different “looks” depending on the species of fish and how long it has been infected.
Ich most often looks like grains of salt, slightly under, or on the skin. The spots change location and number day to day.
In advanced cases, mucus develops that makes the spots less distinct. More rarely, secondary infections set in making true lesions.
Jay
Thank you for your time!

Lights are on, been checking em out for a bit, im seeing less today but there's still a couple in the same spot, dont see any additional spots elsewhere on the body or fins, don't see any strange behaviors.. Every other fish look normal..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back