OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the fish. Out of the 5 fishes. 1 wrasse, 2 clowns, 1 bannerfish and 1 firefish. The banner and 1 clown were sick so moved all to QT.
In QT with copper power .5 ppm, the banner and the sick clown seem to be fine at least for now. But I do see the clown losing pigmentation.
The other healthy clown died today in QT.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power at 0.5 is like putting coors light instead of gin in a gin and tonic. All your doing is wasting time and encouraging the build up of ich resistance. If your going to quarantine either do it correctly or don’t do it at all. There really is no in between.

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power at 0.5 is like putting coors light instead of gin in a gin and tonic. All your doing is wasting time and encouraging the build up of ich resistance. If your going to quarantine either do it correctly or don’t do it at all. There really is no in between.
Can you please advise how much ppm should it read? The qt is 5 gallon

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper power has dosing instructions on the bottle to get up to 2.5ppm. I'm using it right now during a fallow period, and their recommended dose was pretty close to spot on according to my copper test. I'm not at home or I'd read them off and repeat them here.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 mL of copper power per gallon of water. This will bring the level pretty close to 2.5. Then you can make small adjustments after that. That therapeutic level of copper power is been 2.0 to 2.5. I like to keep it closer to 2.5 but as long as you are in that range it will be therapeutic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue is; copper takes 3 to 5 days to really clear fish of ich, once the proper dose is reached. Very often, the fish are simply too sick to last that long. This thread began on Monday I think? The fish were "covered" at that time. If the ich has progressed like it often does, your fish may not have another 3 to 5 days to ride it out. Fingers crossed though!

This issue of not being able to get proper fish meds in Canada is a real problem.....

Jay

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have decided to do ich and velvet management than control and quarantine. There is no way I could qt everything for 60 days let alone keep separate qt for fish and corals. I also want to choose fish that are more resistant to parasite.
With that in mind, 3 of my fish still survive.
1) I am
Planning to dose polyplab for the next 10 days at dawn and at night.
2) I am also planning to feed metronidazole based flakes.
Can someone suggest good medicated flakes that also have garlic in them?
3) which tang more resistant to parasite?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as velvet management. If you do everything perfectly, ich can be held at bay, but once velvet gets in it will wipe out the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have decided to do ich and velvet management than control and quarantine. There is no way I could qt everything for 60 days let alone keep separate qt for fish and corals. I also want to choose fish that are more resistant to parasite.
With that in mind, 3 of my fish still survive.
1) I am
Planning to dose polyplab for the next 10 days at dawn and at night.
2) I am also planning to feed metronidazole based flakes.
Can someone suggest good medicated flakes that also have garlic in them?
3) which tang more resistant to parasite?
Once fish loss has taken place, you are past the management phase and really need to go to active treatment.
What do the remaining fish look like, can you post a short video?
Jay

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once fish loss has taken place, you are past the management phase and really need to go to active treatment.
What do the remaining fish look like, can you post a short video?
Jay
Shall post the video by tomorrow. But the remaining clown, wrasse and firefish all look healthy for now.
1) What is done during the management phase?
2) I am planning to finish the remaining 7 days dosing of polyplab
3) I am also thinking of feeding the fish occasionally with with OSA medic flakes

Anything else that I could do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall post the video by tomorrow. But the remaining clown, wrasse and firefish all look healthy for now.
1) What is done during the management phase?
2) I am planning to finish the remaining 7 days dosing of polyplab
3) I am also thinking of feeding the fish occasionally with with OSA medic flakes

Anything else that I could do?
The OSA flakes have metronidazole in them? That often doesn’t work because the dose is too low. Metro needs to be dosed at 5000ppm and at that dose, it is so bitter that most fish refuse to eat it. To increase acceptance, the dose is lowered, but then so is the effectiveness.
Jay

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OSA flakes have metronidazole in them? That often doesn’t work because the dose is too low. Metro needs to be dosed at 5000ppm and at that dose, it is so bitter that most fish refuse to eat it. To increase acceptance, the dose is lowered, but then so is the effectiveness.
Jay

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how best can I manage ICK. I know there is no playbook here but I guess there has got to be some way to keep this at bay apart from UV.
1) Dose polyplab the moment I notice spots.
2) I found treating mysis with Vitachem+Metroplex+Kanaplex+Focus and feeding to fishes along with garlic can be good feed. What do you all think?

Back