ICP results - High Zn and Fe. Should I be concerned?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I purchased an ICP test after battling dinos for a few months. My phosphates came back pretty high because I removed GFO and elevated the phosphates to help get rid of the dinos. However, I also see zinc and iron are elevated (in the red zone, if that means anything). Is this problematic? Fe is at 7 µg/l and Zn is at 21 µg/l.

It also suggests I dose boron and iodine. Is this recommended?

I am going to start putting GFO back in the tank to bring the phosphates down as the dinos are just about gone. Not sure if anything else looks too problematic - haven't been in the hobby for too long.

Attached are the results.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Main - 02_01_2022 (B-oadWaz).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 47

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High iron doesn't sound like a good thing. I thought iron was a contributor to algae growth, among other things.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High iron doesn't sound like a good thing. I thought iron was a contributor to algae growth, among other things.

Some is needed by all photosynthetic organisms. Its not apparent to me that algae needs more than other organisms, and some methods add quite a lot (Red Sea recommendation), either as a supplement or to control phosphate by precipitation iron phosphate (e.g., DSR method). I've not heard it claimed that these methods have algae issues.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some is needed by all photosynthetic organisms. Its not apparent to me that algae needs more than other organisms, and some methods add quite a lot (Red Sea recommendation), either as a supplement or to control phosphate by precipitation iron phosphate (e.g., DSR method). I've not heard it claimed that these methods have algae issues.
You would know better than most. I thought I had read somewhere that dropping Fe in the ocean could be used to encourage algae or phytoplankton blooms. I might be remembering that wrong.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would know better than most. I thought I had read somewhere that dropping Fe in the ocean could be used to encourage algae or phytoplankton blooms. I might be remembering that wrong.

It does. :)

But that's taking iron from way, way below undetectable by ICP (as lows as 0.006 µg/L) to still undetectable by ICP. Adding a lot more than that won't do much because it is no longer the limiting factor to growth. Something else then limits growth.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back